Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

entran 3

edwin57
edwin57 Member Posts: 4
I have heatway rubber tubing installed under sub-floor (stapled), we started to have cold spots on first floor. I made contact with service people from where we purchase oil, they found that interior wall of the tubing was breaking down, so clogging flow pathways. Has this problem happened in other locations ?????

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    The early rubber and non barrier plastic products did present some issues. Often times it appears the tube is dissolving but in fact it could be a problem with O2 ingress.

The various versions of the tube were EPDM of blends of EPDM with additional wraps and layers. EPDM is commonly used in seals, pump gaskets, o-rings and is a viable product for hydronic water or fluids. The problem is the higher temperatures allow more O2 ingress.

If the sludge or deposit sticks to a magnet it is usually ferrous components in the system dissolving. The only way to be certain is have a sample analyzed by a lab. stick a magnet in some of the fluid, see what sticks to know if you have metals dissolved in the fluid.

Regardless, the fix involves flushing the system with high pressure and a hydronic cleaner product like Rhomar or Fernox. Then isolating the tube from any ferrous metals. Either use all copper, stainless and brass or bronze parts, or isolate the tube with a plate heat exchanger.

The sooner you flush the better the sludge can actually block some loops beyond salvage.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    CMadatMekcopp
  • edwin57
    Thanks for the info, we have tried already to blow lines out with air and no luck, so this tells me the are probably done for.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    edwin57 said:

Thanks for the info, we have tried already to blow lines out with air and no luck, so this tells me the are probably done for.

All the loops plugged, or can you salvage any?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Purging with compressed air isn't the same as using water. And you'd need to push forwards and backwards, numerous times to break up the sludge.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • edwin57
    not completely sure all that was done, but I want to do what I can to see what I can salvage, thanks for the info