Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

are my valves broke

johnnyh13
johnnyh13 Member Posts: 31
I have d valves on some radiators on all floors. my question is had to return to supply house.com couple d valves for not closing and opening too soon as soon as heat goes off. I moved the good valve to radiators where bad valves were and it works fine. question is what would cause air valve to open as soon as boiler shuts down and radiator is still red hot.am I just getting bad valves from this place? also had to hit valves sometimes for it to close all the way and returned them now got problem of venting too soon when hot. forgot to mention also changed main vents to #2

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    There have been a distressing number of bad Gorton air valves recently. I would call the supplier and tell them about this problem and I would try to call Gorton and tell them it's time to fix this.

Enough is enough,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • johnnyh13
    johnnyh13 Member Posts: 31
    I sent back 2 valves now this is third one I feel like im doing something wrong or there gonna think I don't know what im talking about , is the valve supposed to vent as soon as the boiler goes off ? no right! just need someone to verify im not losing my mind or have a different problem
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    The vent may open as soon as the shuts . As a matter of fact, it may not close during a heat cycle. It just depends how hot that end of the radiator gets and if steam gets to that end of the radiator/vent before the boiler shuts down. On mild days, may never close,