Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic heating

Options
radtech
radtech Member Posts: 1
I am remodeling several rooms in my home that currently are heated with baseboard electric heaters. I am considering replacing these with hydronic baseboard heaters that use a liquid core. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of heater and if so what are your feelings about the systems. This home is in Minnesota so gets some extremely cold days and nights.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Lots of experience here on the Wall with all manner of hydronic systems, both new and old.

You need to begin at the beginning, with a room-by-room heat loss calculation. From that, you will know what size emitters are needed in each room. I would give serious consideration to using panel radiators (which also come in baseboard-like shapes) instead of convectors (fin-tube.)
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Are you referring to electric hydronic baseboards, or a completely new hydronic baseboard system with a boiler to drive it?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I believe radtech is referring to an electric resistance baseboard heater that uses a heat transfer fluid rather than a finned type electric resistance heater?

If so, the one that uses the fluid has slightly more mass so it will take a bit longer to heat up and a bit longer to cool off so the effect will be less room temperatures swings, increased comfort.
    Steve Minnich
    GordyBrewbeer