Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler violation

Options
I am currently trying to remove a customers violation for not having the boiler rating plate on the boiler. Its a burham boiler and after extensive detective work it has been determined that it is a model 411B. I contacted burnham and was told that this boiler is discontinued and has been out of production for the last 25 years. They are telling me that there is nothing they can do for me without a serial number...... Anybody got any ideas ????

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Is there any practical reason for this to be a violation, or is it just a "because mommy says so"?--NBC
  • Billy March_2
    Billy March_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    New York City.......need I say more ?
    Rich_49
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Billy March Do you know how many sections the boiler block has? How many burner tubes? I have the same boiler. Mine is 10 sections, 22 burner tubes. You should be able to determine the size of yours based on this info. I doubt that you need a serial #, on the plate, as long as you can have a plate made with the specs on it
  • Billy March_2
    Billy March_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Wwow.....thats the exact boiler I am looking at. I didn't take the jacket off but I counted 22 burners. I am going to make a copy of the plate you sent me and see if I can have a generic plate made. Thank you so much...
  • Fred
    Options
    You are welcome
    Billy March_2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fred, you could have sold that name plate....... ya know it fell of the back of a truck. ;)
    Or better yet just rent it out for a month and get it back.
  • Fred
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Fred, you could have sold that name plate....... ya know it fell of the back of a truck. ;)
    Or better yet just rent it out for a month and get it back.

LOL, You have to do whatever it takes to save an old Burnham 411B! One of the last great gas boilers made. Just very sensitive to even a drop of oil on the surface water.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I would take a facsimile "boiler plate' and staple it to the inspectors forehead.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Or just send the picture of Fred's name plate to the inspector along with some coffee and donut coupons. My electrical inspector will sometimes accept pictures of underground electrical installations if he can not make it to the site in a timely manner.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Rating plates on heating appliances is a serious matter. Without the original, there is no way to confirm the mfr., model, serial number, date of mfr. and specs or the listing agency and approvals. To make a plate after the fact could be construed as fraud and I would strongly advise against it. This is a call for the authority having jurisdiction, any commercial, State or insurance boiler inspectors. Should there be an incident, anyone caught tampering with the boiler such as providing a bogus rating plate could face criminal charges. Why is the plate missing in the first place and for how long? If it was present and documented previously, that may be something for the authorities to accept but if it was always missing then the boiler should be treated as stolen and any safety approvals considered null and void. Why take on all that liability?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    "Dude, Who stole my boiler!"
    New York City!
    Brewbeer