Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler will not start

Okay, I have a oil boiler installed in January 2014. It was working perfectly until last night. Now, the water temp has dropped all the way to the ambient temp in the boiler room, and the boiler will not start. The lights are on on the control panel, the unit has power, it has fuel, the red light is NOT on on the reset button. Just nothing happens.

I've tried hitting the reset button, added water to the system, killed the power for a bit and then turned it back on. What should I try next? I'm thinking maybe the transformer, is there a way to test it, or another couple things I should try before I call someone?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You should just call someone. You should also never hit the reset switch. It's a safety switch, telling you the burner shut off because of a dangerous situation. Pushing the reset button, and the burner doesnt fire, only sprays un burnt fuel in the combustion chamber. Continually doing this will result in something very bad happening when it does fire.
    Only a qualified tech should reset that switch so they can observe what happens next. What happens next will give some immediate diagnostic clues as to what may have gone wrong.
    BTW, It's not the transformer. It's either something with the aquastat or the low water cut-off. Something is not sending power to the primary control.
    While you're waiting for the tech, post a close up pic of the components, or list them.
    steve
  • kenkiely387
    kenkiely387 Member Posts: 2
    I know better than to hit the reset button, it's at my ex's house and she hit it. I will go take some pics.
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    A qualified person should check too see if there is power on B1. If you have an L8148, it's possible that there is a call for heat, but no power on B1 to signal the burner.
    kenkiely387