Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vacuum gauge on oil line

Luv'nsteam
Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
edited January 2016 in Strictly Steam
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

What are your thoughts on a vacuum gauge between copper supply line and flexible line to the burner pump?

What about a second filter just before the vacuum gauge?

Lastly, brand names and/or suggestions for sourcing a flexible oil line (36")?

To help you visualize what I am thinking, copper oil line to the side of boiler, connected to second oil filter (possibly), then a vacuum gauge (possibly), Firomatic shutoff valve (definitely) and then flex fuel oil line to burner (about 3 foot)?

Any/all information/thoughts very much appreciated.

TIA,

Mike

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited November 2015
    The ultimate set up, for me, is a TigerLoop Ultra, with the integral spin on filter, mounted on the boiler jacket. They are shipped with a Firematic valve to install on the oil line supply side of the Loop. Tigerholm has a vacuum gauge accessory that installs on the feed to burner side of the Loop. Westwood or Crown makes the 36" flex lines.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I like the filters at the tank, General, Spin-on (Garber makes them with the vac gauge), OSV (if gravity), oil line to unit, firematic shut off on the pump. I usually avoid Tiger loops and flex lines. If the fuel line is on the pump cover, during a cleaning I take the pump cover off to change the strainer and swing the door open, or if a furnace, to be able to pull the burner.
    I like the filters at the tank, that's where the filtering needs to be done. Why let any crud into the fuel line.
    The above is on my boiler at home and I went 3 years with no problems
    steve
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @Hatterasguy how often do you repair/replace the line filter? Do you go by gallons, years, or pressure gauge/pressure drop? Looks like an interesting idea for Webster fuel pumps.
    steve
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    I have a vacuum gauge on the filter at my tank which is a Garber. I also have a Ultra loop at the boiler with a Garber as well. When the Garber at the tank shows vacuum I change the filter at the tank. The Garber catches everything. I burn my waste oil in mine and I haven't changed the ultra loop filter or nozzle in two years. But I going to this year at some point just to see how it's doing.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    Bob Bona_4
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    If one has to leave a wool canister in the system, a 1A or 2A, Sids carries the Vacbolt to replace the usual canister bolt. Hg gauge screws into the top of the bolt. A lesser option.
  • Luv'nsteam
    Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
    Great information, everyone. Thanks for sharing. Sorry no reply for a while - I have received zero notifications about any of your posts, so I need to figure out what setting I have wrong.

My oil tank sits under the front porch, where the coal bin was (house was built in 1889, original boiler was coal fired, system was a Train vapor-vacuum setup). Door to oil tank location is screwed shut for winter. While looking for polyester coated oil-supply line, I stumbled across a thread for oil-fired boilers up in British Columbia and those folks recommended the second filter and vacuum gauge. My concern was that a second filter may place to much of a restriction on the oil flow because my supply is gravity fed. However, using a vacuum gauge, would allow me to easily monitor the flow and a second filter would (in theory, anyway) provide a better (cleaner) product to my burner.

I do like the TigerLoop, now that I know what it is and does and because it comes with a FireMatic valve and is mounted to the boiler jacket, it seems like the part I am looking for.

@STEVEusaPA, why do you not care for the TigerLoop? (BTW, what does the 'PA' part of your name stand for?).

Thanks again for all of your input, this site is incredible and very helpful!!