Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Source Heat Pump - Energy Consumption

I live in Ontario, Canada and have two Daikin FTXS18HVJU and their accompanying outdoor units installed. Because of the increasing costs of electricity, I have been monitoring hydro usage circuit by circuit in my home. I have learned that my Daikin units consume electricity even when the units are completely turned off, (breaker circuit on). At this moment, I am seeing that one of the units is consuming 304 watts of power and the other 276 watts. Neither unit will consume less than 40 watts at any given time, including the summer months. However, as the outside temperature drops the electricity consumption increases. I realize that some electricity is required for the inside and outside units to communicate to each other, however, 300 + watts when the units are not in use is really contributing to my high energy bills. Any info would be greatly appreciated as to what is happening here and what I could do to alleviate this issue. Thank you.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Crankcase heaters, I would assume
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is that continuous or does it cycle on and off?
    They are probably self regulating, lower ambient temp raise heater temp. If you shut them off at ckt bkr, it may require 48 hours or more to warm up compressor for safe start up. Check manual for sure.
  • BryanC315
    BryanC315 Member Posts: 3
    With the units off, neither cooling in the summer or providing heat in the cooler temps, there is always a draw. The minimum is about 40 watts and currently with the temps in the 30s F, the draws are between 275 to 300 watts. Therefore, there is always a continuous draw with the units off.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Daikin units maintain a warm evaporator coil whenever in the heating mode. Even if the head is turned off. This prevents cold air blow on startup and allows immediate heating.

Also crankcase heaters.
  • BryanC315
    BryanC315 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Thank you all for the explanations, much appreciated.... One last question. Now that we have natural gas in the home to provide heating in the winter, I have no need to run these units for heating in the winter months. I will now only use them in the summer months for cooling. Therefore, is it safe to turn off the breakers to these units for the winter. And then in the summer, turn them back on. Of course not using the units until the breakers have been turned back on for at least 24 hours.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Don't they prevent cold air on start up by delaying indoor fan operation until coil is hot?

The heat pump may be more efficient than gas heat during shoulder seasons. Maybe 35 to 40 degrees. Depends upon fuel and electric prices. Numbers to crunch :) And indoor comfort to consider.
    njtommy