Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator leaking water

Hello,

I have these in-wall radiators in my apartment, three total. 2 work great but the 3rd one leaks water out of the valve(?), the silver piece on the right. It has always done this, but this year it seems to be worse, filling up a bowl with water in less than an hour. My landlords are elderly and do not speak any English, so I'd like to see if I can rectify this myself. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    That air vent is not a very good one and should probably be replaced with a different brand (Gorton or maid o mist #5?). Put a level on the radiator and make sure there is a little slope towards the opposite end from that air valve.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • greycatlost
    greycatlost Member Posts: 4
    Hi Bob, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I put a level on it and it's perfectly plumb(ironic, since everything else in the house is not). Should I shim it up a bit to tilt it away from the vent?
    Last question, is it difficult to replace the vent? I am a bit handy, though I haven't done much heating work. Thanks again.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Just looking at that rad, along the floor line, it looks like the rad has settled and is sloped towards the vent (what you are calling a valve) side of the radiator. Pitching it back the other direction as BobC suggests will probably take care of the problem.
  • BobC
    Try a new vent before trying to move the radiator. When the boiler is off and the radiator not steam hot use a wrench to unscrew it from the radiator - make sure you have a replacement vent before taking the old one out.

Wrap some teflon tape around the new vents threads and carefully screw it into the radiator, be careful not to cross thread it.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • greycatlost
    Got it. Thanks Fred, appreciate the input, Will give it a try.
  • greycatlost
    Thanks Bob, I will try a replacement before moving the radiator. Is this something Home Depot would carry, or is it a special order?
  • BobC
    I think Home Depot just sells the same vent you have now. Try Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Maid-Steam-Angle-Radiator-Valve/dp/B003DV3AGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447808013&sr=8-1&keywords=maid+o+mist+5l

That one comes with an assortment of orifices.

In the meantime try shimming thae radiator as Fred suggested.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited November 2015
    did you tried to open shut off valve ? air vent, it is not broken anyway. its function to pass air and lock steam in the radiator. there should not be water in the radiator on the air vent level.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited November 2015
    look for the shut off valve behind the cover. open it all the way and then close it 1/4 turn of the handle.