Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring a newly installed boiler

I am installing a new york boiler with 1 pump and 2 zone valves and a taco control, do I just conect 120 to the boiler and another 120 to the taco box? Then the pump and valves to the taco box? Doesthe taco boxmake the wiring that simple?

Comments

• sonofaplumber
    sonofaplumber Member Posts: 52
    Something like that. I'm assuming your talking about a taco zone relay like an SR501? You most likely didn't need it but that depends on the aquastat you're using.

Make sure you come from the service switch on the boiler to the zone relay you need to be able to shut off the relay and pump to work on the system. Some of the SR500's have a built in 24v transformer that you need to supply the zone valves with. Then just wire the end switch on the panel in parallel to the zone valves and into the aquastat.

If your aquastat has a circulator control (C1, C2), and most do, you don't need a zone relay at all, Just a 24v transformer.
    -Joel
    Johnybcoldvr608
  • Johnybcold
    Johnybcold Member Posts: 8
    Thx
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    All on the same 120V circuit
    Johnybcold
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Slightly off topic; how would you wire/power a zone valve using the transformer in an SR501, along with the thermostat?
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    You wouldn't, you'd use a ZVC, or zone valve control
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    edited November 2015
    Paul48 said:

You wouldn't, you'd use a ZVC, or zone valve control

Agreed, but say you already had a 501 unit for another application and wanted to add on?
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge