Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No thermal roll out fuse

Options
I am installing the conversion kit from a cycle pilot system to a gold control system on my Weil Mclain HE2 boiler. Every thing is going very well until I see that this boiler never had a thermal roll out fuse installed above the burners. I see where it's supposed to be installed but looks as if it hasn't been there for many years. My original manual shows that it supposed to be there!! I have ordered one and will install, but how much of a problem was this in past operations?????

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    would guess it wasnt an issue since the boiler didnt burn up. Someone got very lucky...
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    I wouldn't say they got very lucky, I'd just say they weren't unlucky. I don't believe they even became a thing until somewhat recently.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I figure the guy who pulled it got lucky. Removing a safety of any sort is a nightmare waiting to happen...whether they "became a thing" or not.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    lchmb said:

I figure the guy who pulled it got lucky. Removing a safety of any sort is a nightmare waiting to happen...whether they "became a thing" or not.

If someone had removed it, they're just not too intelligent.
    I've considered adding a second to mine. They're cheap and they can save your life.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Rollout and draft switch generally not seen until late 80s. See this a lot. If I replace a gas valve on pre-safety switch unit I add both to burner circuit as a rule. There is some scary antique gas burning equipment out there... wild pilots, sketchy dampers, etc
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Honestly there are so many unsafe boilers, out here, someone needs to step up and address it.....Didn't the do gooders get the ins. Companies to require updating your oil line..not sure cause I never had anything to do with oil ,except removing the dirty old crap
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    j a said:

Honestly there are so many unsafe boilers, out here, someone needs to step up and address it.....Didn't the do gooders get the ins. Companies to require updating your oil line..not sure cause I never had anything to do with oil ,except removing the dirty old crap

Not sure what to say to this post other than, wow.
    Bob Bona_4
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

j a said:

Not sure what to say to this post other than, wow.
    Wow means ?