Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Resize a cast iron radiator.

Options
drooplug
drooplug Member Posts: 26
I got my hands on some radiators for my basement. During installation, I managed to crack one of the end sections(d'oh!). I would like to remove one end section on two of the radiators and assemble them into a larger one. They are put together with push nipples. Does anyone have any tips or advice for this project? I think my biggest concern right now is how to remove the nipples from the section.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Most people, with any sense, would tell you don't even bother. Just find a radiator that is sized for what you want. BUT, here we go.! There should be rods that go through the radiators, from end to end. Take the nuts off of one end of the rods and pull the rods out of the radiator. Once you've done that, make yourself a couple wooden wedges out of 2X stock and wedge it in between the sections that you want to pull apart, one at the top, one at the bottom, and wedge it in. Start hitting the wedges, somewhat carefully, alternating between the top and bottom wedge, until it pulls apart. I'm assumming these are steam radiators that you are converting for a how water loop, right? You are not going to get floor model radiators to push steam in a basement where they will be below the water line of the boiler. Once you get them apart, you will have to find new push nipples to pull the sections back together and you will need new, longer rods to hold everything together. Finding the push nipples may be a challenge but I think someone on this site can provide a couple sources. Depending on how long the radiator will be, if you have to, you can probably buy/use threaded rods from any hardware store.
    IF THE RADIATORS DON'T HAVE TIE RODS TYING ALL THE SECTIONS TOGETHER,FORGET IT, THEY AREN'T GOING TO PULL APART.