Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless coil question American Standard

Options
Noluck
Noluck Member Posts: 12
Hello I have a American Standard oil boiler from 1970s that has a tankless coil. I own a few homes so am a little familiar with boilers and things breaking.
The house has hot water but seems to go cooler quicker then it used to. I have had to have 2 tankless coils replaced in my other homes when similar problems occurred.
I had a tech come to the house and when I called to set the appointment I explained the problem.

I was not home and got a call from tech explaining that I needed a new chamber because it was starting to rot. He never addressed the hot water issue until I asked again he said that the chamber was causing the problem. When I asked that every other time this has happened it always needed the tankless coil replaced. His answer was Yeh it is an old boiler and you may want to change it.

I have owned the house for 12 years and and looked inside the boiler and the same small 2 holes have been in the chamber for years. I don't think this is the cause of the hot water issues and feel it is the coil.

Any suggestions would be great. And is there anyway to use a small snake to clean coil instead of the flush clean technique.
Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    You may just want to go the electric water heater route. I agree with you that the coil is most likely the problem and not a boiler replacement. But firing a oil boiler all summer to get hot water to me is a waste.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Time to think about new equipment, this time get a boiler with no tankless coil, and install an indirect fired hot water storage tank.
  • Noluck
    Noluck Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The house is in new York and this is how it is setup.

The boiler with tankless coil feeds into an almost brand new 50 gallon storage tank. The tank is a hot water heater that is only being used as a storage tank and not as a hot water heater.

The house has baseboard heat so iIthink I would still need the coil
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    With a 50 gallon storage tank you shouldn't really run out of hot water. Although I agree the coil is probably plugged, there may be something else going on.
    And like everyone else said, I know its a rental, but time to do something with the equipment.
    steve
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    No, baseboard heat has 0 to do with a tankless coil, hydronically speaking.