Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I have a bumble bee in my bonnet - SOLVED

Quercus
Quercus Member Posts: 61
edited October 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
My posts are long winded so I will ask my question first and then give the blah blah background.

Will a bumble bee E05 error clear itself if the motor is left to cool?
Are there conditions that would prevent the pump from being programmed to the lowest speed?
Will the constant power mode activate with the sensors connected?

Long version below:

I had my heat going last weekend for the dip into the 20's and got everything going with one bumble bee on the primary, one on the large zone and a 007 on a baseboard zone. I missed a leak in one of the radiator unions so drained, pressure tested and refilled. Flushed the system prior to setup and bled air out. Good news, no leak.

I decided to program the system pump to run constant power at the lowest speed, since the setpoint doesn't act as a boiler protection scheme. I could only set to the highest speed.

After dinner, I decided to see if it was me or the pump, so I decided to program the zone pump to be on the lowest speed. It took me many tries (which may be part of the problem) and eventually I got low speed but also an E05 error, which is "probable locked rotor" and is from the motor trying to start 8 times unsuccessfully.

I have removed power from the system to see if the problem is thermal. I'll go back in a couple of hours. Has anyone had this error and can it self-clear?

Are there conditions in the system like a very small loop that would keep a pump from programming to the lowest speed. I didn't try other speeds and can try that but the "interface" didn't seem to be giving me the different speed options.

I really liked the concept of these pumps but can say the honeymoon is over. They are definitely my last. Please let me know that the Viridians are not recognizable siblings of this pump. I have nothing against Taco - their products have served me well but I think this product is not a keeper.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• Quercus
    Hi,

E05 can reset if powered down for a few hours. YMMV. The rotor must not have been locked. It may have been the failed programming attempts but would be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this.

The pump that was resisting programming has a noticeable click to the membrane pad. The other one is quiet. I don't know if it's related to the difficulty programming.

We'll see how things are in the am.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    They can be a bit tricky to program at times. Try holding the right button down for just the right length of time when the pump is mounted in an inconvenient location and the display is hard to read. The VT2218 is more flexible and much easier to program.
    Rich_49Bob Bona_4
  • Quercus
    Thank you Steve. Check your email.

Steve D
  • Quercus
    Many thanks to Steve and Taco. Their response was far beyond what was expected.

Bottom line - the VT2218 is awesome. The build quality and ease of programming is first rate. With the price so close to the Bumble Bee it's hard to justify the Bee. Seriously, programming is simpler than using a microwave.
    HillyBob Bona_4Rich_49RobG
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Sweet glad to hear. I'm installing one this weekend. Can't wait to see how much nicer it is. May have to upgrade my bumble bee at home.
  • Quercus
    edited October 2015
    tommy:
    spit on the grommet! that was my only difficulty with the pump install. programming only takes a few seconds and minimal instruction reading

seriously, if you don't program the bee and the noise doesn't bother you the bee is fine. if you have more settings you want to explore the VT is more versatile.
  • njtommy
    I'm running delta T at 25. So it may not be worth it, but we all love new toys.
  • Hey Steve... I'll check with engineering and UL to see if we can add "spit on the grommet" to the OM :-). But seriously, we get your point. Thanks again for your patience and trust with Johnny's excellent company. Great to get your feedback - always valuable.

All the best for this heating season...
  • Quercus
    Steve, that was a tongue in cheek comment on the grommet. You're in good shape when that is all I can come up with for complaints.
  • Hey Steve. Misunderstanding here. I totally got the tongue in cheek thing - love it. No problem at all. The funny part is I have proposed this solution to some of our, shall we say "over zealous" engineers (in defense of these guys, the folks that make this stuff work for you) on previous projects.

We listen to any/all suggestions from you people that install this stuff and react as best we can. It's how we roll.
  • njtommy
    I installed the VT2218 this weekend on a new boiler install. The new pump is super quiet compared to the bee. Very happy with it. Also the longer leads for the sensors is a plus.
  • RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    Chiming in kind of late but wanted to say Taco has really done well with the 2218 and the 1816. Paired with zone sentry valves it is a combo that is hard to beat.
  • Quercus
    On the red boiler you have one of each pump. What is different about the zones to warrant the difference?

I am very pleased with my 2218. The heat wave is making them only work at night.

Also, where in CT are you. I saw the boiler sticker with an 860 code on it.
  • RJMCTAFO
    The delta t pump is on the heat zone. The delta p pump is on the indirect. I use either the delta p pump or the 3 speed Grundfoss set to max on the indirect depending on the boiler we install. No pump with a Biasi.

Located in Tolland county. 20 mins east of Hartford.
  • njtommy
    So no worries about flow through the Baisi boiler? I just did a crown 3 pass boiler that needs 9 gpm through it at all times based on a 20 delta t
  • RJMCTAFO
    From my memory the heat loss on the house with the Biasi was only 36K. Even with the smallest oil boiler it is still oversized. I actually had to lock the heat pump into fixed speed due to velocity noise when in delta t. That install was about a year and half ago. Usage went from 800 gallons with a 1950's era boiler with tankless providing less than adequate hot water, to just over 500 during a very cold winter.
    njtommy