Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air in hot water

I have a customer I installed a Heat Flo indirect water heater for a few weeks back. Since the water heater was put in they are getting air out of the hot water faucet. I have put in a couple dozen of these tanks and never had a issue both on town and well water. This one is on a well.
Aaron Hamilton Heating
ahheating@ yahoo.com
(207)229-7717

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Water quality is the only thing that I can think of. Whatever is in the water may be attacking the anode creating gasses. I would get the water tested and contact the manufacturer.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello: One way to narrow it down is to remove the anode and plug the port. See if the gassing stops. If so, you know it's the anode rather than some well plumbing problem. I wouldn't leave it that way too long. :* If you discover it is the anode, you can then go to a less reactive metal, like aluminum/zinc or to a powered anode.

Yours, Larry
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Is there an anode in a stainless tank?

I know some installers include a small float style air vent, especially on systems that have iron removal systems that inject air into the water.

It should be a low lead or composite vent, of course.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    There is a anode in the tank. I just found this out today I have put in a lot of these tanks and never had this issue. But this guys water is pretty bad. I am going to have it tested and go from there.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 249
    Are anodes new to Heat Flo tanks? I installed one a few years ago and it doesn't have an anode.
  • hot_rod
    I had air in my system last summer, turned out to be a small hole in the piping going down the well to the submersible pump.

It would be a coincidence, but possible.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    hot rod said:

I had air in my system last summer, turned out to be a small hole in the piping going down the well to the submersible pump.

That's what I thought but the air only shows up in the hot water.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • vibert_c
    vibert_c Member Posts: 69
    I have this problem with my own system.
    It is caused by the water softner reacting with the anode. When the gassing ceases in the morning at the hot tap, I know it is time to replace the anode again

My water is severe and I require three anodes per year.

My tank is propane gas 30 yrs old John woods.

There is a web site that explains hot water tank service.
  • hot_rod
    edited October 2015

hot rod said:

That's what I thought but the air only shows up in the hot water.

I think Larry's suggestion is the best one, he has a lot of experience with DHW. He and Suzanne wrote an excellent book on water heaters also.

Also George Lanthiers book The Hot Water Handbook

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Aaron_in_Maine