Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Green Coffee grounds under Boiler and on bottom of inner liner.

I'm working on a 140M Munchkin boiler, and I notice dried up green deposits on the very bottom of the bottom plastic inner liner. I looked under the boiler and small amount of green small coffee grounds are on concrete under where the condensate drain attaches under the boiler. This is new for this boiler. Anybody have any ideas on what this might be?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is this the standard Munchkin water tube boiler?

Are there "coffee grounds " inside the boiler?

If the drain plugs and overflows it could get into the bottom of the boiler jacket, I believe.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Check the condensate trap closely and related. They have a tendency to crack, you may have possible spillage into the jacket.
  • OldSkool
    OldSkool Member Posts: 18
    I'm going to do annual maintenance tomorrow, I'll let you know when I get it opened up to see if there are grounds inside. The drain can be heard dripping into the house plumbing so I don't think the drain is plugged. The unit is level front to back, but HTP installation says it should be a bit higher in the front. The boiler has been installed for about 10 years with spotty maintenance.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Yes, but the outlet can be cracked and some discharge doesn't make it down. Good luck!
  • OldSkool
    Thanks Bob. This boiler is sitting right on the concrete deck, I'm not sure I can get a good look at the rubber pickup near the center of the boiler. The green debris is completely dry under the condensate trap, I'm hoping that's a good thing :)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,020
    They could be leftover from the last cleaning?

Even if the outer case is level, the heat exchanger inside could be off level, it needs to pitch towards the drain a bit. Put a level on the actual boiler inside the case to check.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • OldSkool
    Thanks hot rod!