Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatway Onyx advice, leaky connections at barbed manifold

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
I've been a Viega guy all these years; I have no experience with Onyx stuff.

We did a boiler swap recently; there was some radiant installed many years ago by another contractor. the original installer who put the radiant together did not have any valves on the circuits, at all. This manifold uses the clamp method, the ones where you just use simple pliers. (by the way, what did the original installer do, pinch off the lines as he purged???)

So, we cut in some ball valves. My install guy, who has used Onyx in the past, had a few feet of Onyx, so we have like 4" pieces of 3/8 before the ball valves. The trouble seems to be we didn't get new clamps (just new clamps for the new ball valves), we re-used the old clamps where we attaches the new 4" pieces to the old manifold.

out of 15 circuits, one leaked. we popped on a new clamp, problem solved. Now another one started to leak. Is that the rule with this stuff, new clamps needed?

My guy also said he used some sort of grease on the manifold connections, in my mind i don't see this being a plus, but again, he has Onyx experience, i don't.

Thanks for any tips. Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Is it black or orange colored tube? There were different clamps for different versions. Sounds like you have the spring type that can put out an eye
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Might look like poop, but hose clamps would solve the problem.
  • GW
    Options
    this is what I'm using, same as the original, yet the originals are black. The tubes are black, like radiator hose. Thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I meant the screw type hose clamps.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    It use to be those barbed connectors had a slight taper, the more you jam the tube on the tighter the fit. They usually hold low pressure even without the clamps.

Make sure they pushed the hose up the barb, they probably did if they added a grease :)

Here is the other clamp Watts offers, theses had a spring washer to keep constant tension also, a bit $$.

The clamps you have should be plenty.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GW
    Options
    yes funny enough HR, we did one boiler job a while back, NO clamps at all on the (same basic) manifold set up. We pulled the tubes, cut the ends off, added clamps, all set. I can't believe the stuff I am seeing out there
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com