Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

FostaPEX trim question

I bought the Viega prep tool and tried it out on a 1/2" tube. Check out the pic....is it normal that the tool removed more outer layer than necessary? I fed the tube all the way to the stop on the 1/2" cutter.

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    it doesn't look like its all the way in, look at the eye on the sleeve. the black is suppose to be covered all the way. in the picture it looks like its stooped. is it cut straight.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    You can usually adjust that depth of cut with the screw that Holds the blade into the tool. I had to adjust mine to cut deeper to work on some TRV compression fittings.

If not put a sliver of the tube up into the tool to create a shallower stop.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited August 2015
    Yup its normal on the brass fittings. The EP fittings accept the skinned part down the crimp. In either case, look for the skinned black part Iin the crimp inspection holes. If it's there, you're bottomed. Don't stress if the tubing cut isn't machine shop true. Do the best you can. Using scissor type cutters?

the skinner tool will stop cutting once it'sreached the right depth. Chuck it up to a cordless drill.

in your pic, I would recut as square as you can and re-skin. Try to cover the crimp sleeve windows on both sides. You can just be at the edge of the deep part of the hole and it's good. You'll get the feel of when things bottom out.

I would not mess with the factory cutter depth. You'll be too shallow on the EP fittings. Accept that about a 1/16 plus exposed skinned edge will show on the brass fittings. This came about when Viega retooled the brass fittings to have the crimp sleeve integral with the fitting.
    Boon
  • I used a tube cutter, same one as I use on copper. The cut is perfectly square. And the tubing was bottomed out in the brass fitting. Bob is correct, the problem is with the brass fitting...the seat is too shallow. Here's pic of the same tube inserted into a poly fitting. A perfect fit. Not sure why Viega has different specs for brass and poly. I guess for brass fittings I'll have to nibble with the prep tool to get the correct depth of cut for brass.
  • hot_rod
    The small exposed black tube does not alter the integrity of the connection. Is it just a cosmetic issue?

I had this concern long before they brought the EP fitting over here? Maybe the strip tool was developed for the EP fitting in Europe first.

if you plan on using the tool for both types of fittings, a simple removable spacer could be used to limit the depth for the brass fittings, maybe.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    RobG
  • Bob Bona_4
    edited August 2015
    It's purely cosmetic. Before the integral sleeve, there were only brass everything, and the sleeves sold seperate. The seperate sleeves/brass setup let the skinned part get fully buried like you see with the current EP fittings. With the integral sleeve change, the knurling on the fitting hub changed dramatically too. The EP fitting hubs followed suit. Harder to twist after crimp for those minute adjustments but i suspect an even better joint.

In the beginning when the integral sleeve/brass stuff came out I was a little disappointed at the appearance, but I'm over it. More important things to obsess about :)

Scott, a rachet pex scissor would make your life much easier and things much faster!
  • I should have mentioned that I'm using FostaPEX...I figured any scissor type cutter would crimp and deform the metal layer.
  • Bob Bona_4
    No, any slight deformation will come right out once you crimp.
  • hot_rod
    Keeping the blade razor sharp is the key to cutting pex with a scissor cutter, especially the aluminum layer stuff. Drag a sharpening stone across the blade every now and then.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Bob Bona_4