Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas boiler system w/indirect hot water tank - summer shut off or just valves or???

norenebeaver
norenebeaver Member Posts: 5
We have just moved to PA from WA and into a rental and had our gas turned on. We have never had a system like the system we have in the home we are renting. We are told it is a very good system but we are trying to learn what to do with it during the summer. We thought it was off until we were moving some furniture and I reached down and felt one of the baseboard units and it was warm. Surprised me. The system has a bunch of valves with names on them like master bedroom, first floor, second floor, dining room, etc and wondered if we could shut those so the water isn't going up to the baseboard heaters since we are trying to cool the house right now. Also - if we shut the system down (it was off for a month while the house was vacant) how can we get hot water in the hot water heater - we can't right since the boiler system is heating the hot water? Any help/advice is appreciated! I have included a picture of the valves I was talking about.image

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Could you post a picture from farther back showing piping to boiler and the piping below what we are able to see ?
    this would be a great help
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • norenebeaver
    here are some more pics.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    The heating zones are getting "ghost flow" when the indirect DHW tank is recovered. The boiler doesn't have an integrated control (Tekmar) to manage the system and unless the landlord has one installed, you'll experience these problems. There also needs to be check valves installed on the returns to minimize the ghost flow.
  • norenebeaver
    So the valves that we turned off (the yellow handles in picture 2) aren't sufficient enough to prevent ghost flow? if that is what your referring to what is being pumped into the baseboard heater upstairs? Also - did we do wrong by turning off those valves?
  • norenebeaver
    All of the valves have labels on them like master bedroom, 1st floor, 2nd floor, dining room so I think we are safe there - thank you so much!
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Should have the Taco zone valves checked to see if you're getting some heat bleed by, from a valve that's not positively closing.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    The expansion tank above the indirect water heater looks like it may be waterlogged. It is hanging awfully low. If that pipe were to break you would have a flood on your hands. At a minimum it needs a support. You should call your landlord.
    Rich_49
  • Rich_49
    If and when someone comes to change that tank remind them that it also should be charged to the same PSI as the incoming cold water . This probably was never done and the very minute it was turned on it was waterlogged. Most see precharged and never bother to verify whether that pre charge is the right charge . Good eye RobG
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
    RobG
  • norenebeaver
    You guys are awesome! Thank you so much! I appreciate all the feedback! This system is the most intricate we have ever dealt with so we want to make sure we are doing the right things and appreciate all your expertise. We have to keep the boiler lite to keep the indirect hot water tank hot correct, because that is the only way to get hot water into the tank? I know it seems like an obvious answer - but never had an indirect hot water tank before or a boiler system - so appreciate you humoring this west coast girl in an east coast world :)

the landlord does have regular maintenance done on the system and they would not have tested the pressure on the expansion tank when they do maintenance? And if we brace it - do you suggest bracing to the ground, not the indirect water heater - correct?
  • Rich_49
    edited August 2015
    Any type of device that will cradle the tank would be fine . I would suggest some support fastened to the ceiling joists passing under the tank and back up and fastened . There are products made just for this type of situation but only the landlord could say whether he is willing to go that route . They are not expensive but most must be ordered , few supply houses I have seen carry them as stock but they do exist .

http://www.dutchtechusa.com/
    732-751-1560
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited August 2015
    If it were my home I would use a clevice hanger near the elbow attached to the joists above. At a minimum a piece of strap iron should be used.

I hate to say it but maintenance guys sometimes don't know what they are looking at or just don't care. Use this site as much as you need to and never think that you are asking a "stupid" question. We all just come here to help.
    Canucker