Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tips on straightening fostapex?

I received my shipment of fostaPEX and was surprised at how rigid it is. I'm looking for ways to straighten 8-10 foot sections. Was thinking a length of PVC pipe slipped over the end and sliding it down as I pull the bend out.

Any tricks of the trade you'd be willing to share?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    A large (1" or 1-1/4") conduit bender works pretty well.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Oh man you got the roll. I deal with 20' sticks to make life easier. Anchor the end and roll it out as straight as you can, a few feet further than your estimated cut off point. You'll get the knack of it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Roll it out and bend it the opposite direction a bit then it will stay straight. Keep it in the sun helps
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Bona said:

Oh man you got the roll. I deal with 20' sticks to make life easier.

I only need 150' and the sticks come in packs of 25 = 500'

• Bob Bona_4
    I can buy them in 20 foot sticks here. Maybe a shipping thing?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    are you buying for a supply house ? why don't you just call viega up and ask who in your area carries viega. I can get sticks one at a time.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    There are German companies that sell composite pex-al-pex tubing straighteners. I've seen them at ISH. Surprised they're not available in N. America....Hot Rod??
  • Snowmelt said:

are you buying for a supply house ? why don't you just call viega up and ask who in your area carries viega. I can get sticks one at a time.

Too late...I already purchased a 150' coil....more than I need for a one-time job. Cost of paying return shipping is prohibitive (West coast to East Coast). I'll live with it. Thanks anyway. If I ever do another pex-al-pex job I'll look at the stick option first....I just never thought to check, I had no idea how stiff fostapex is!

I've got an 18" length of 1.25 I.D. poly conduit........I can feed the 3/4 through and tweak it straight fairly quick.
  • Bob Bona_4
    It goes faster as you learn to work it, some back bending, tweaking, etc. By the time i get a stick to the job and hung, I'm usually tapping it here or there for appearances too. Just way less than an uncoiled section :)