Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

any techs on the "wall" in minneapolis St paul area?

Jim_66
Jim_66 Member Posts: 22
Hello all, I'm a homeowner but also somebody who enjoys and appreciates the art of how water heating.

I'm looking for a contractor/tech in Minneapolis/St.Paul to troubleshoot a residential gravity conversion...really hoping to find somebody with some experience in that (or at least curiosity).

I know price discussion and such is a no-no on the wall but I'm hoping it's ok to ask if there's anybody here who works in the area...

Feel free to message me or post if that's ok...

(PS I did try heatinghelp's "find a contractor" , nothing there but I think there may still be wall users around the twin cities)

Thanks!
Jim

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I'll be in Twin Cities next week, have curiosity and some experience in several gravity systems. You can message me.

In the meantime you could post pictures with some specific questions and get more input.
    RobG
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    If you can't find anyone or Jughne can't help, I know of a guy from another board that's a wethead in MN.
  • JUGHNE
    I never heard from Jim. I was in Twin Cities for the Dan Holohan seminar on the 18th. Would have had a look but no contact. It is a 500 mile drive by the way. However, we all love to look at pictures on the Wall.
  • Jim_66
    Jim_66 Member Posts: 22
    Hi Jughne,

I'm sorry I didn't see your message to respond, I didn't have "the Wall" settings right--your offer is certainly appreciated!

But actually I was hoping for somebody in the area to do business with, I pretty much know what I would like/needs to be done but am running into problems with what seems like a sea change in the industry in the past few years -- I'm a bit old school in attitude. Former caretaker of many commercial buildings.

So, I believe in a standing pilot in a damp basement for example, and I don't worry about gaining 2% in efficiency unless it is sensible, and I'm not keen on replacing a 10 year old boiler in decent shape for the latest mod-con...someday when it's time, sure but not now.

You could say I am frugal, but not cheap ( I happily pay for expertise and experience)!

But all the local companies seem to have gobbled one another up, there seem to be no small independent shops left, and everybody seems locked-in to brands. I had a young guy sent by a local shop who truly, literally knew less than I did by far, just trained to swap out every module he could lay his hands on, poor kid. Didn't even know how to use a VOM it seemed.

So I was trying to find somebody who is

1) familiar with Gravity conversions, pumping away etc.

2) Local and available if I have a situation

3) a little....practical and resourceful I guess would be the word.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your offer very much and do apologize for not seeing it in time.

Jay
  • JUGHNE
    Pictures here are still good in any event