Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stand alone dehumidifier keeps clicking on and off

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
I have a 15 year old dehumidifier that has seen alot of duty from June through September. In the past if the humidity or temp was too low I'd turn it on but I could hear that that it was just the fan. Now, even though temp is 74deg and humidity is 72% and basement feels a bit musty it goes on and keeps running but every ten seconds I can hear a click and the sound gets lower--and it's obvious the dehumidifier is not working. Then it goes on again for another ten seconds. Just time to get a new one?

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    i'm thinking it would cost a minimum of an hours labor to take it apart and have a look-see.
    D107
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Sounds like the compressor likely isn't starting causing the overload to trip. Once it cools it tries again.

Usually caused by a bad capacitor but could also be a bad compressor.

@Techman would you concur?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    D107
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    ChrisJ," I like the way you talk", or a burnt wire.
  • D107
    Thanks for your answers; I was trying to find a way to open the front so I could vacuum the coils in case that was the problem, but I'd have to take the whole thing apart. Given it's 16 years old and there's no longer any tech support from the manufacturer, I think a new unit is in order. Best rated I can see if the Frigidaire FAD 704DWD. Seems better than throwing 1/3 of the price of a new one into a tech to check out with a good chance I'll have to buy a new one anyway.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Replace the Dang thing. 20 years old? It doesn't owe you a thing.
    D107
  • D107
    You are correct Empire. Got a brand new unit that's much quieter.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Thanks David107... That's how the govt. operates except they throw everything out regardless of new old, doesn't matter...lol Glad to help in your decision. It's the old scale,.....Is it more cost effective to fix or replace? Only the home owner can decide that topic.

MPT...