Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's wrong with this???

4Johnpipe
4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
Anyone see any issues?

LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
732-751-1560
email: langansph@yahoo.com
www.langansplumbing.com

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Where would you like me to start?
    4Johnpipe
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Maybe start with ripping it out ....
    4JohnpipeErin Holohan Haskell
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Better question might be what's right with this?
    RobG4JohnpipeErin Holohan Haskell
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Scary part is their is a lot of money spent on controls there.What a shame.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited May 2015
    Hard to tell how that PRV is piped. But thinking safety that appears to be questionable.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Hey guys, quit being so harsh! It was my four year old grandson's first install! ;)
    Harvey RamerErin Holohan HaskellDavid Sutton_6
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    I was called out by the manufacturer rep for HTP they could not get to the job quickly. The unit blew out the CH block filter on initial start up on a call for domestic hot water. They overnight-ed a new part. The installer put it in and it blew out on the next call for domestic hot water.
    I arrived a few minutes before the installing contractor to a disgruntled homeowner who wanted a new unit because the same part broke 2 times in almost as many days.
    I took a 5 second look and informed her that if a new unit is needed you will certainly get it, However no unit of any manufacturer could be connected to the current piping.
    I gave the installer a crash course on primary / secondary piping and Rich McGrath and I met them at the job the next day to get them going.
    I then got a call the following morning asking me to help them wire the Taco ZVC 403. Mind you we already had the pump wired and the line voltage. They needed to connect the 2 Honeywell zone valves, T stat wires and the TT to the boiler...
    In amazement!!!
    PS it did not blow the filter housing out of the unit when they finally got it wired after calling their electrician in to connect the low voltage...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I always wonder who puts in this stuff? Why haven't they learned how before attempting what can't be done by those who don't have basic skillsets. It does embarrass the industry and trade.
    David Sutton_6
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited June 2015
    Nice soldering. Looks like a 7 year old did it.
    What's the black stuff around a few joints? Is that electrical tape?

I'll be honest, I have no idea what any of that is other than the quality of the soldering and mismatched mess of parts. I'm guessing this is the proper tool to start with though.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    4Johnpipejonny88
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Everyone will be glad to know that this was in fact the tool of choice for removal . http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/lenox-tubing-cutter-kits.aspx
    There was not enough room to perform the sawzallectomy . Much more precise surgery was needed .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    ChrisJRobert O'Brien
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Just curious......What had they done with the unopened manual packet?
    RobG4Johnpipe
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Couldn't tell you Paul . I never saw it on site . Go figure
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Rich said:

Everyone will be glad to know that this was in fact the tool of choice for removal . http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/lenox-tubing-cutter-kits.aspx
    There was not enough room to perform the sawzallectomy . Much more precise surgery was needed .

Gotta love those things. I have a hard time with the old Rigid mini cutters, with the arthritis in my hands I have a hard time with the knurled knob.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    You obviously are not as lazy as me. Also, hands are getting too tired any more, and carpal tunnel and all.....
    Anyway, you haven't lived until you have used this:
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2471-22
    Will pay for itself on one job. But DO NOT get your knuckles next to the rotating parts. It really hurts!
    Rick
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I was at the supply house the other day can't remember which one, but above the door as you walk out it says:
    Have you reed the Free Manual today?
    It's truly crazy what people will install and not have a single clue.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022

You obviously are not as lazy as me. Also, hands are getting too tired any more, and carpal tunnel and all.....
    Anyway, you haven't lived until you have used this:
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2471-22
    Will pay for itself on one job. But DO NOT get your knuckles next to the rotating parts. It really hurts!
    Rick

Or this version. It is lighter and I found it easier to "one hand" and it will cut strut, all-thread and wood blocks nicely.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    4Johnpipe