Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brass Two Pipe Radiator Valves

Maine Vent
Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
I'm replacing a great hallway floor. I unhooked the Radiator in that room to remove old sub-floor and replace with plywood.
I removed the 2 silver painted valves, and cleaned them up on a wire wheel. Low and behold, Brass.
I removed all the paint and then put my polishing wheel on and with some Brasso and the wheel these came out nice.
No more paint on these.
Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
404 sq ft EDR
Old Burnham V8 Removal

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Nice job!
    Why not take a few more pictures, showing how the packing nut and bonnet come off for inspection purposes? Then we can repost them as illustrations for re packing, and inspection.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Glad I am not the only one doing this. Mine are actually nickel plated originally and I am working on putting together a plating setup for my house to re-plate them like they originally were. For now I like the polished brass look.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    KC, very nice. I would not recommend Brasso, as i stated above. The polishing wheel is fine.
    Help with this question, what is the bonnet part?
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    If you look at the valve in elevation view, the packing nut is immediately below the handle. It's purpose is to compress the graphite, or Teflon material around the valve stem, and seal it, while still allowing it to turn.
    Immediately below that, is the bonnet, which has flats on it to enable wrench removal. When it has been unscrewed, the upper body of the valve (the bonnet) comes away. Removing this is a better way of checking for a dropped valve washer, than removing the radiator.--NBC
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    KC_Jones said:

Glad I am not the only one doing this. Mine are actually nickel plated originally and I am working on putting together a plating setup for my house to re-plate them like they originally were. For now I like the polished brass look.

KC, I have an old (antique) electroplating machine. It was my grandfathers and I have no idea how and if it works. I will get a photo of it when I can get to it (it's buried in my shop). You would be more than welcome to it if you like. The only hitch is that it's in Winchester, Va. and it's HEAVY, not very large but it was made when tools were tools.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Hmmm I could be interested that is only a 1:45 drive for me. Even if it doesn't work could possibly use some of the components. Send me some pics and I will let you know. As long as I can get it into my basement workshop the wife won't care. I haven't done anything yet as I am still working out a source for the nickel. So far my best bet is welding rod and one of my brother in laws is a welder/welding instructor at the vocational school so he is looking into it for me.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    KC_Jones said:

Hmmm I could be interested that is only a 1:45 drive for me. Even if it doesn't work could possibly use some of the components. Send me some pics and I will let you know. As long as I can get it into my basement workshop the wife won't care. I haven't done anything yet as I am still working out a source for the nickel. So far my best bet is welding rod and one of my brother in laws is a welder/welding instructor at the vocational school so he is looking into it for me.

It would fit into the trunk of a car (there is no tank with it, it is the electro mechanism of the plating machine). It probably weighs 100-150 lbs. It is a cast iron body and as I said, it was made when tools were meant to be repaired, not replaced. I would love to see it work again, not parted out. I will get some pics.