Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suggestions Options sought for adding combination tankless

smf
smf Member Posts: 9
queens NYC. 2 family residential house about 45 years old. Currently has single furnace and big hot water boiler for both apartments. Thinking to add combi tankless for smaller unit (2 bedroom, living room, kitchen, 1 bath unit) that would have its own gas meter. House has a boiler room where current system is and there is ample space in room.

Thanks

Comments

• smf
    Thanks a lot for answers so far.

Would lower the rent a little as it would also make the renters more aware of the situation instead of a cart blanche for heat.

Could the combi be installed in such a way that it could also be switched to provide for both apartments? Either as backup or a more economical whole house solution.

Thanks
  • smf
    Can you recommend a good programmable 'stat with a lockout feature ?

It was built originally as a 2 family.

Could you please elaborate on the placement functionality of ball valves as i am having some difficulty (layman) conceptualizing the setup.

Thanks
  • smf
    great info Hatterasguy. Does the LUX have tamperproof mounting screws?

Hows the surf there? (cape hatteras?)

Rich_49
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Id just but in a Navien combo if I was you I have a lot of new customers, they work good when installed correctly.
    smf
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Why would you spend money on new boiler and then lower rent?
    get rid of the thermostat altogether, install outdoor reset control and get all the savings to yourself.
    jonny88
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Navien free zone.Good advice Mr G and Hatt
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    IS there anything out there? I need something to heat 50 feet of copper baseboard and make DHW for the unit.

Currently they have Munchie 80s with a 20 gallon Super Stor.
    A couple of them have to be replaced, and I could use a suggestion or two.
    Al Corelli

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    For combi's I have had pretty good luck w/ the Bosch Greenstar 100 and The Triangle Tube Challenger 125. I Like the TTcc 125 as it is a simpler design and less parts to break.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Just install a navien and get it over with. flush out unit once a year and your good to go.
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    The Naviens are pretty big, but we can readily get parts.
    TT and Bosch are not as well-represented here, but the small units would be better.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.
    Al Corelli

smf
  • smf
    edited July 2015
    Can an outdoor reset control be installed on any gas fired hot water hydronic system? What is it is a 2 zone system? Dos that mean a separate outdoor reset control for each zone?

Thank you
    gennady said:

Why would you spend money on new boiler and then lower rent?
    get rid of the thermostat altogether, install outdoor reset control and get all the savings to yourself.

• smf
    edited July 2015
    Furnace is New Yorker CG50CNC TE2 . I cannot see if this accepts an ORC. It was installed emergently after Hurricane Sandy destroyed prior furnace. Seems it was the only one readily available to installation company.

Would it have some sort of electrical terminal where the ORC is connected to? 2 apts 2 zone hydronic baseboard heat in both units.

House located Rockaway NY 11694

Thanks again.
  • smf
    Is it ok for me to invite pm's for installation quotes?

Taco Fuel Mizer and lockable programmable thermostat. Zip 11694
  • JGR
    JGR Member Posts: 6
    Might want to also look into the Rinnai E50C or E75C both are perfect for 1 bath apartments, I have installed a few in some New England town homes and they work great, I just did my first service on one of them after 4 years, which is the recommended service interval by Rinnai and it looked like new when I pulled the burner.