Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watts washing machine valve - Worth rebuilding?

Options
Boiler Talk
Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
I recently noted some dry calcium like build up around the lever, so I figured I would rebuild the valve. I made a mistake of spraying some WD40 on lever stem thinking it would come off easier. A few hours later I saw dripping water. The valve was maybe 6 years old. I went to the plumbing store and asked about a rebuild kit. He had none, but said the price was about $25 versus a new valve for $45. He said if it was a Watts valve all you do is swap out the valve with no sweating. That's what I did and it worked just fine, but I wonder if anybody rebuilds them. It doesn't seem to be worth it.
I dismantled the old valve and found about 12 parts and nylon seats that look like they might be tricky to install without nicking them.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    rebuild it and keep it for a spare, you may need it in 6 years.

Do you cycle the valve on and off, or does it stay on always? If the valve has been cycled there could be wear in the body or seats that a kit cannot repair.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I cycled it. When I took the old one apart I had to use brute force to remove the seats. I think it might be hard to rebuild it. Perhaps there are special tools, or it is my lack of experience that would likely create a problem. Oh well.