Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dormant oil tank

Options
dh1989
dh1989 Member Posts: 22
If all goes according to plan this summer, I'm going to be converting over to wood heating via wood stove. I plan to see very little oil boiler use other than hot water, which I average about 1/4 gal a day or less of oil for. I live alone and have a tankless coil which I switch the burner on only when I need hot water.

I currently have 1/4 tank of oil. I need a 150 gal delivery to get the cheaper oil price. Should I fill the tank entirely and add some kind of biocide to it, or just fill the minimum? Is condensation a concern over the summer with a 1/2 full oil tank?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Yes, the more oil in the tank the less condensation. Treatment will help if the oil will be stagnant.
  • Jack M
    Jack M Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is the oil tank located in the basement, out in the garage, outside, or buried in the yard?
    I would still have someone do the annual service and change out the filters, flush the line, change the gun nozzle, vac the heat exchangerand smoke stack, check the chimney flue, and check the combustion. Depending on where you live you may need the boiler to heat the house if you are gone for extended periods of time. You don't want any surpises. (just a homeowner here, this not professional advice).
  • dh1989
    dh1989 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    It's a 275 gal tank in the basement. I'm going to have the boiler serviced over the summer, which includes all of the above. I'm still running it daily switched on/off for hot water. I ordered some Biobor treatment to add before I have the tank filled.