Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil from tank not coming to Boiler? Help... Please...

SternFamily
SternFamily Member Posts: 2
After "Sandy" we are still attempting to get Hot water, and heat back up- Our Boiler literally imploded during- and now we have a New Boiler (Crown TWZ series,Becket Af/Afg oil burner) and our existing 1000 gallon underground tank-
Since the new Boiler has been installed, the company has not been able to have the Oil come through to the boiler-
They have told me that Air might be in the tank/line- and that even though we have roughly 450 gallons of oil- 10 percent is water and that could be the reason.
They have a copper rigging from the boiler to a container of oil that did work to give us heat (we have cast iron baseboards) for about 2 days- then nothing.
I know we have leaks- and every time we repair burst pipes (as we had to go the winter with heaters being used in the home- and no heat) it seems another leak in the basement pops up.
1 step forward, 10 steps back.
We are getting so many conflicting reports- we are not that proficient as it shows- and every time someone walks in to "assist" us, the bill is staggering.
I was thinking to simply get a new - in the basement- oil tank- but would that be foolish having a 1000 gallon tank already- We do not have the funds to keep throwing it down a well to hope this gets fixed-
And if we do get a new Tank- what size? what make?
Thank You ahead of time for any thoughts on this -

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Your first priority is to remove the UST and soil test. This is a disaster waiting to happen if it hasn't already has. Then install a 275 or 330 gallon above ground tank and gravity feed the oil to burner if possible. Twin a couple together if you feel you need that much more storage.
    RobG
  • SternFamily
    SternFamily Member Posts: 2
    Would you recommend a Roth double well tank to go in the basement? I think the issue with going through as much oil as we did in the past was finding out inside the walls we have no insulation- so we need to research having foam blown in, or something in that realm- as well as insulating the garage-
    It is sad to see now how much was not done when being built, that was supposed to be done-
    We are wiser for it, and learned a good lesson.
    Thank You very much for the expedite response.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I defer to others Re the Roth tank advice. If I was to do a Roth, I would absolutely use a Tiger Loop oil deareator at the burner since Roth is top supply (suction) only. The opportunity or desire to install them hasn't happened for me-I've only installed steel tanks for the last 26 years.
  • Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    I would get the tank taken out of the ground. The towns where I work require it for buying/selling a house.

At the very least I would get your soil tested by a good company. If everything is okay you may just want to get the water out of the tank. Since water and oil don't really mix it's easy if you know what you are doing.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    When and where was your house built that you don't have insulation? Just for liability issues I would have the UG tank removed as the expense of soil remediation is HUGE. Put the new tank wherever you want, basement or outside. As suggested above, go with a Tiger Loop.