Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaughn - Stay Away

I have a Vaughn S50TPP which is their "Top Performer" model indirect water heater. When our home was built in 2001 a Vaughn was installed by the builder and the unit failed in 2010. Vaughn replaced the unit (I had to pay for installation) with the same model. That unit failed (leaked) in April 2015 after 4.5 years. Our HVAC installer told me the leak was due to a faulty weld and that Vaughn should replace it under warranty. But of course, they won't. They claim their 10 year warranty has been fulfilled since the new unit installed in 2010 lasted more than a year - so since 2001 their warranty is up. Even though the unit installed in 2010 is clearly defective - Vaughn will not replace it. You cannot find any mention of this limitation to their supposed 10 year warranty on their web site. So buyers beware. Vaughn is not an honorable company and makes a poor quality water heater. Go elsewhere or be prepared to get your checkbook out.

Comments

• FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I can only relate to this in my area of expertise (automotive).

With the manufacturer I worked for, say you had a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty. Now say the transmission died at 35,999 miles. And the death of the transmission was so bad that the only choice was to replace the entire unit with a new one, right out of the crate.

How long will the new transmission be warrantied? For exactly one mile. Doesn't matter that it's new, they still only warranty the 'original' time and mileage. If the transmission failed at 36,001 miles, and you paid out of pocket for the tranny and labor, then a new warranty (on the transmission only) would go into effect (with the company I worked for, that would be 3 years, 100,000 miles).

Is it fair? Eh. Debatable. Does it suck for the end user/owner? You bet. Been there done that.

I don't know much about tankless water heaters, granted. I only did enough research into them to know that they aren't for me. Companies in general sure do love the small print and red tape, though.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    kcopp
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Every industry I am aware, who have a warranty, will only warrant it for the stated period from the original installation date (and in many cases, to the original purchaser/home owner). That, to me, is reasonable assumming they actually stand behind their warranty during that period. A failure, after 4.5 years would be hard to prove as a factory defect. Many companies will even replace a warranted item with a reconditioned/remanufactured item/part of the same age or newer than the original.
    Not what we like but reasonable. That's why so many companies offer extended warranties (if you think they are worth the extra money)
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    I agree with others, you bought one unit, in 2001. You don't just keep getting free units forever as long as they fail in less than 10 years each time.

As far as the quality I have no idea, never heard of them before.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    They have had some ups and downs w/ their TP indirect WH... Their Electrics are bullet proof. I have one customer that has one still running since 1978....
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Burnham Alliance is the same tank with a different cover.Some people like it for its concrete lining .I have no bad experiences yet except I like to change the aquastat that they provide.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I installed many Alliance, never had a problem either…Funny how social media plays a big role out here….Just saying
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    So many people w/ the entitlement attitude...
  • RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    It's always interesting when this convo comes up. Had it at a supply house Thursday. Guy came in saying Buderus s120 was the biggest peice of ;&;&;@ in the world.

I said why.
    He said changing my 8th one that was less than 10 years old.
    I said how often are the anodes being changed.
    Blank Stare.
    Well maybe it's not the water heater maybe it's the fact you're not maintaining it properly.
    :#

Got pretty quiet in there. Hahah
    j a_2Rich_49
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    We are suppose to give the homeowner the manf supplied owners manual..I would say self included that does not always happen....but it should... The owner has the responsibility of having it maintained by a qualified tech...
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    You should have purchased the lifetime limited warranty.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Heh. Yep, can't ignore the new stuff like the old cast iron ten-ton beasts. They could take the neglect more than the new stuff.

I have a Richmond power vent water heater that is 11 years old and still works like a champ. Since we bought the house (when it was 7 years old), I've flushed the tank every spring and changed the anode once, though it wasn't really degraded all that much (we are lucky to have VERY good water here).

These days I feel like ten years out of anything, with no issues, is pretty darn good.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • vibert_c
    vibert_c Member Posts: 69
    In my dwelling I have a #22 copper range boiler that was manufactured 'Crane' June 1929. It is still working perfectly, been in continuous service.
    Has anyone heard the expression "I can't afford to buy cheap"
    Vibert_C
    jonny88
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    "I can't afford to buy cheap".That is one of the smartest things I have heard in a while.Good for you.