Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

furnace pressure swich

mburg
mburg Member Posts: 46
a furnace wasn't igniting the error code said the pressure switch, I cycled the power and it is working now, should I still change the switch? also the switch has two hoses going to it the top hose goes to the gas valve and burner box, the bottom one connects into the inducer. I measured the pressure at each hose the top one was -.55 and the bottom one was -3.39. what is the purpose of having two and how does that pressure switch operate? also when the unit was running I disconnected the top one and it continued to run when I disconnect the bottom one that shut it down.

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    The line that goes to the burner box,gas valve n pressure switch is called a reference tube.it controls firing rate according to changing negative pressure within the burner box.the other one that goes directly to the inducer from the pressure switch is incase the inducer goes bad or a blockage in your vent piping.It keep the furnace from firing.Other things to look for are blocked drain,cracked heat exchanger,vent pipe not size correctly.
    mburg
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Let me add one more thing here.i know nordyne products will give a pressure switch fault code if there a slight voltage drop thru any safetys.i had acouple this winter that kept showing a pressure switch code and it was other safety switches that were the cause.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I would replace that old metal switch.
  • mburg
    mburg Member Posts: 46
    It was a plugged condensate drain
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    You should have heard the water swishing around when you cycle it on.
    mburg