Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking for a digital refractometer to measure the ethanol or propolen glychol as it compares to tem

robert borders
robert borders Member Posts: 48
looking for a meter that has a direct read out from the sample of ethanol or glychol in a closed loop system to be sure the mix is set cold enough. I have been looking but can not find one. it maybe called a refractometer but someone told me they had one that was digital he using on boilers for measuring after he adds antifreeze. I was not quick enough to ask any questions + he is not longer in our area.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    We buy them from WW Grainger. The one we buy is not digital but is completely accurate and easy to use. It has two scales one for ethylene and one for polypropolene glycol. Sorry I don't have the model #

I see no reason for digital but JMHO
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    I have used an optical refractometer for years and have found them to be durable as well as accurate. A digital unit would require regular calibration and if not calibrated properly would give false readings, same as a combustion analyzer not properly calibrated properly. Digital has its place but when reading glycol concentrations I would always chose simple and reliable. Its cheaper than replacing tubing in a 4,500 square foot snow melt system that you thought was at - 40 degrees but in reality was at 10 degrees. Just my 2 cents. Thanks Matt
    Matt Rossi
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    The meter for glycols typical read propylene or ethylene glycol. I don't think the same meter would read ethanol or methanol type GEO fluids.

If it's for glycol, the reflectometers are a good way to go. I prefer the readout to the "floating" ball type checkers.

Here is the brand I use. Shop around for prices, it's sold under other brands.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream