Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purging / bleeding in floor heating after tubing repair.

Options
carpjm2
carpjm2 Member Posts: 1
My home was built in 1987 the in floor heating consists of a boiler, small red circ pump and a mass of small black rubber tubes about 3\8" dia. Embedded in concrete floors up and down stairs.
I recently had a radon system installed, when the floor was penetrated for a 5"dia vertical vent pipe the workers cut through six tubes. The tubes have been repaired but the system now has audible air coursing through.

So, how do I beed or purge the air out of the system?
There is an expansion tank on the system, should I just let the system run until it "self purges"?

Any advice? Chime in.

Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    It will need to be bled. Depends on how it's piped. Do you have a picture of the near boiler piping and a pic of the manifold?
    steve
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    sounds like SolaRoll, how did they repair the tube? It needs to be repaired with a fitting capable of being pressurized. Do you have any pictures of the tube and repair?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    This is really not your issue. The radon folks should hire a competent radiant contractor to do this.
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Options
    The expansion tank will not bleed the air out. If you have some sort of air eliminator or scoop... then maybe with time, but I wouldn't count on it.

You need to manually purge the loop or zone of air and how you do it depends on how its piped, like @STEVEusaPA mentioned. But if should have been done by a competent plumber who repaired the system, like @kcopp mentioned.