Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ineed tech info, BRYANT

Called to service two newer homes in the western PA area where installing contractor will not come back and some unscrupulous contractors have taken a bunch of their money with no results. Trying to diagnose a "not defrosting" indicated to me that the defrost board was faulty be cause speed up test did nothing, however the new OEM replacement did the same thing. what is the best source of tech manuals/wiring schematics for BRYANT units? Thanks in advance. john

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    John, I am sorry to learn of your experiences. Did you try going to Bryants web site and typing in your zip?

It may not need the board. Can you make an ac call happen?

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • HEATON
    HEATON Member Posts: 117
    yes ac mode works.. what is the test procedure? I'll try the web site. thanks , GARY, FOR REPLY
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Did you test the defrost sensor? I replace those anytime I replace the board.

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Well if a new board did the same thing it's likely not the board, however anything is possible. I do not have much experience with what you're describing, just general knowledge.

so, ac works, heat works....it just locks out on a fault code? maybe ohm the sensors? Maybe the sensor is loose? Can you hear the "SWOOOSH" sound when it goes into defrost? In other words does it ho into defrost mode (ac cycle)?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • HEATON
    DOESNT LOCK OUT ON A FAULT CODE ..NO fault code LED on board.. does NOT go into defrost, does not initiate a defrost when test, AKA "speedup" pins are shorted as the instructions on the access panel direct!!! Need specs ,, does tubing sensor need to be @ A CERTAIN temp, does ambient sensor need to be at a certain temp? does dft sw need to be open or closed to allow a test cycle? OR are none of things necessary! Cant test without specific info., Seems Bryant does not furnish any , only to their registered contracted at the customers mercy dealers. I am always appreciative of help offered on the "WALL" Thanx
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    In order for the test to work you have to bypass the senor so the board get 24 volts.I always like coming up to a heatpump frozen solid so i can see if the dft is closed as well.The board need 24 volts at all time to keep the timer going,as well as being able to send power to the dft to energize the defrost cycle.I am thankful that they got away from the old paragon timer of yesterday.
  • HEATON
    thanks, don, I bypassed the sensor by removing the cable and bridging the pins( simulating closed sensor contact) then shorting across the test pins ( labeled speed up) while the unit was running in the heat mode. Does not go into a defrost, with the new board. cant find a Bryant dealer who would,( Im willing to pay for,) give me tech support.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I do not think shorting the test pins speeds up the time any more. I think a short for more then 5 sec. is ignored. Get me a model # and I can post a sequence of operation for you.
  • HEATON
    Thanks . # on board=HK32EA001 Model #215BNAo42A Serial#3610EO5109 dATA and instructions on cover describes part of test as short across "speedup" pins and how this changes defrost time from 60 min to 14 sec etc. this does'nt work on old board or new board. W O details I don't know what else needs to be present for a defrost cycle test. hope you can find pertinent info.
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Hope this helps you.

HEATON
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    See if this works. Your board starts on page 16
  • HEATON
    very much appreciate, hope to be able to return the favor. buy you a beer? don't think I could afford one of those stogies