Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LP Tank Gauge accuracy?

Patchogue Phil_2
Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
How accurate are the gauges on a 100 gallon LP tank? I know temp can vary the pressure. Also is the "REMOTE READY" feature available as a homeowner accessible indicator from inside the house?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    About as accurate as a oil tank gauge or the one in your car or truck. It runs out sometime when or after the needle hits "E".
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    My parents have a remote on their tank and it shows percentages. It also connects to their phone line and calls their delivery service automatically.

I don't think they have ever been below 50% or so.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Chris, did the remote come from their lp provider or did they add it themselves?

I found a remote indicator that connects to the "Remote Ready" port on the existing gauge. Just under $100 online. Amazon carries it too. LED lights in 20% increments only.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

Chris, did the remote come from their lp provider or did they add it themselves?

I found a remote indicator that connects to the "Remote Ready" port on the existing gauge. Just under $100 online. Amazon carries it too. LED lights in 20% increments only.

The tank and the remote came from their provider.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    Many LP tanks have sensors that send back tank levels to the LP gas provider that notify them when you reach a certain level of empty so they can schedule for a fill and not have to charge you for a run-out call. If you run out, they have to turn off the gas to the building and not fill the tank unless someone is present. Its all tied into their computer system.

If you are a "Will Call", you're on your own. Some providers will call you if you are a steady "Will Call" user to ask about a delivery because you are low.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Mom's LP provider has her on auto delivery but sometimes they aren't calculating correctly. Reasons? Extra cold winter, 78 yo cranking the heat, ancient boiler - pick one or all three!

She likes to check the gauges, gets nervous when below 30% so she calls to tell them. With winter ice & snow, not safe for her to go check & stand on a cinder block so she can see the gauge. A remote indicator would make it easier but her company doesn't offer that equipment AFAIK.

It's hard to get her to change anything, so switching companies will be just about impossible. You might recall that she won't replace the 1970-ish hydrotherm boiler because she doesn't think she will live long enough. Been suggesting a replacement for over 10 yrs at least.
  • icesailor
    @Phil:

Its tough getting old.

Remember, when it gets really, really cold, and the Nat. Gas suppliers run short on Natural Gas supplies because they make more money compressing it and sending it over to Europe to drive Vladi Putin nuts, they use LPG and compressed air to make up for the shortage in the Nat. Gas systems. When it gets short, they put the LPG distributors on rationed allocations. So if the computer says you have a 1/2 a tank and you want to top it off, they might only give you enough for an additional 1/4 of a tank. Its the nature of the beast.

Like oil, it ain't like it used to be. The Wall Street Banksters want it all. They just don't want to pay all of us to work for them. Just fix it for free when it breaks.

Where I used to live and work, it is just like to the NE of you down Hamptons way. Where those 8,000 Sq. Ft summer cottages sprout up like Golden Rods in a field. All with no one living in them, but they have to keep the heat at a minimum of 55 degrees to save the paint and paintings. 60 degrees if they might fly in to Easthampton Airport on the weekends. While they are at their 8,000 Sq. Ft winter cottage on the Treasure Coast of Florida.

Come on down. The Polo match starts at 3:00 PM every Sunday. Best be seen.
    SWEI