Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best steam vents for one pipe radiators?

Just bought a home this winter and now trying to balance my 12 radiators on 3 floors. Bought all new vents (about $8 each). All get rads get hot but the hottest ones air vents still whistle and release steam when they get hot. I thought the steam heat was supposed to cause the bell houseing to expand and push the pin into the air hole trapping the steam. Since they are new I don't think its because of corrosion build up.
I saw a three piece air vent for @ $115. Super expensive in my mind but I would bite the bullet if it was the only solution.
Is there a better product out there?
Any recommendations on books to get up to speed and a steam expert in the NH seacoast area would be much appreciated.

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    The Lost Art of Steam Heat found on this site....many hours of fascinating reading. You've got Stem is also good as a primer. What sort of venting do you have on your mains? They need to vent fast, while your rads vent slowly. Please post a pic of your boiler with it's piping and a representative rad. At what pressure is this running?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    First question, what pressure are you running at? What is teh pressuretrol set to? What is your main venting in the basement like? You need proper main venting before you can balance the radiators. What brand vents did you buy? There are several good brands on the market Gorton and Hoffman are a couple. At the price you mentioned I am guessing you got an imported brand perhaps USAV or maybe a Matco Norca. My experience with them is that they are garbage, but that might not be all your problem. As vaporvac suggested post some pics. And let us know some of the particulars of your system.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • 1890Exeter
    1890Exeter Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I will post pics this weekend