Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I may have caused air in my baseboard heaters; please help

gtibollo
gtibollo Member Posts: 5
I have a running water noise in my baseboard heaters. I might have caused it by tightening an air vent that was dripping water. Please see the picture of the Honeywell 1/8" NPT Goldtop Universal Air Vent. I saw that it was dripping water about four months ago (October 2014) so I tightened until it stopped. Late February 2015 I started to hear a running water noise when the boiler turns on. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited March 2015
    Where is the vent located on the boiler or out in the system piping, is it on a air scope? Tightening that cap won't add air it just won't bleed any out. But then where is the air coming from? Did you change a pump or open the piping system somewhere.
    gtibollo
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I would move this to Radiant Heating or to the Main Wall. I think you will get more eyes on the issue and some advice.
  • gtibollo
    Uncle John, it is next to the big air tank, up at the highest part of the whole system....on the highest pipe attached to the boiler.
    Thanks
  • Furnacelady
    Furnacelady Member Posts: 29
    Yes, you have air in your system. Replace the vent, it is inexpensive. Leave cap loose, read instructions! There are some great instructions on this sight on how to remove air from your lines and it is easy to do if your system was installed by someone who knew what he was doing. If on your return line, back at the HWB, you have a spicket then a shutoff, before it goes into the HWB then you are golden. You may even have one for each zone, if you have zones. Shut boiler off, put hose on spicket to a drain, shut off valve on return, open pressure reducing valve (PRV) then immediately open spicket on return. You will hear the air coming out. when that stops close spicket, put PRV back to normal, open shutoff valve on return and remove hose, turn HWB back on. Then get use to the quiet.
    gtibollo
  • gtibollo
    Thank you Furnacelady. I don't have zones. Did I cause this by tightening it and thus not allowing any air to leave my system? The thing was replaced just two years prior to this last water drip. I thought I would try to avoid another $100.00 bill and just stop the water from dripping.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    If the air vent has been leaking , have you checked the pressure of the system? What is it?
  • gtibollo
    Gordy, It is firing right now and the pressure is 10 PSI.thank you
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    10# is not an acceptable pressure if the boiler us running. If the pressure drops below 10# when the system is cold, there are issues. If the pressure rises way above 15# while the whole system gets hot, there are a lot of issues. That float vent may have caused problems, but tightening down the cap isn't one of them.
  • gtibollo
    Thank you icesailor.