Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best thermostat for multi-family/apartment building

Options
Hi, I did a search of the forums on this topic and only found old threads pertaining to steam. So here goes.

I've got a 6 unit building with forced air. Until this morning, it had a temperature limiting stat from Chicago Controls (landlordstat.com) that worked well. However, someone accidentally knocked it off the wall and it is now not working.

So I'm looking to replace it with something a bit more dependable. Not looking for anything fancy, but I'd like to have the capability of installing 1 or more remote sensors (and place the stat in the basement). Also, it would be nice to be able to control multiple zones if I were to add them in the future (not essential though). There is wifi in the building so it would be nice to have it wifi capable. All that for a price that isn't out of this world.

Any recommendations for useful features that I'm not aware of, and for specific stats?

Comments

• wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Honeywell 8000 wi-fi . You can use multiple remote sensors.
    Ecobee 3 has the same ability for sensors but has a web portal where you can track usage.

• a2shutt
    a2shutt Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks, I've been looking at those. One concern is that if the wifi goes down and I'm out of town, the remote sensors wouldn't work. Thinking wired might be the better way to go...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    You can use multiple sensors on the Visionpro, however the wiring is a bit tricky. An additional Redlink box is needed for connecting it to the internet. another model in the Visionpro group has no provision for wireless sensors-(only wired), but does not need the Redlink box for internet connection.
    Maybe an Ecobee3 would work, although the wireless sensors are limited to >45 feet from the main stat.--NBC
  • a2shutt
    Options
    Yeah, the visionpro 8000 series looks ideal. Just realized that you can't use both indoor and outdoor sensors with them, though, which isn't great.

I know you guys like Tekmar for steam controls-do they have anything in this arena?
  • ChrisL
    ChrisL Member Posts: 121
    Options
    The Visionpro with redlink wireless room sensors is a nice setup. I've been using it for over a year now in my apartment building and has been solidly reliable. Just wish it had better ability to handle multiple room sensors rather than just an average of them. Anyway, you have to distinguish between the wifi link to the thermostat and the redlink link to the room sensors. The thermostat-room sensor link is done wirelessly via their own protocol. So it is not dependent upon a wifi link. The room sensor does have two AAA batteries that need to changed periodically. The Internet app allows you to check temp settings, current temp, and will also e-mail an alert if temp is below set point. Finally, check with your gas supplier as they rebate the cost.

ChrisL
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    6 apartments on 1 gas furnace? Might be a challenge to zone later, hard to squeeze air enough for the whole building into 1/6th of the building. There is a new Vision Pro WiFi coming out. It has the redlink feature built in that can use the wireless sensors plus internet without the gateway. The Econet 3 is a really neat stat plus it tells you so much more on line. The Honeywell online & app are very limited compared to many in the industry on what you can get from it.

Good idea on the rebate ChrisL, both our gas companies pay a nice chunk if you get a WiFi stat.
  • a2shutt
    Options
    Well, I would probably put it on 2 or three zones. Three units upstairs are small efficiencies, so they would probably go together. Then the downstairs units together, then the final unit (which is the hardest to heat) on its own zone. Not sure about that.

Thanks for your help. I ended up order a Honeywell visionpro with a remote sensor. Great price at pex supply.

Unfortunately, no rebates with my gas company unless a heating contractor installs it.