Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Leaks inside, as water gauge gets low

MIcold
MIcold Member Posts: 6
So, my pilot light on my boiler was out today, so I re-lit it and it went out again. I re-lit a 2nd time and then watched the boiler. It runs fine for about 10 minutes or so, and then when the water gauge gets low, just about to the point where I am expecting the boiler to turn off, due to the water being low, it starts leaking inside, to the point that it completely puts out all the flames, pilot and all of the 'heaters'. I re-lit a 3rd time and same thing. It runs fine for about 10-15 minutes, then almost like an internal sprinkler, a bunch of water falls/sprays on the boiler flames and puts them all out. If anyone has any ideas what might cause this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

NOTE: It's a one-pipe steam boiler system. Burnham Boiler.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited March 2015
    I t sounds like your boiler is rusted out. There is a hole in one of the sections of the boiler. Where are you located because sounds like its time to get a pro in there to check the boiler out. If it is rusted out it needs to be replaced. Also repost in the Strictly Steam section, you'll get more responces.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    The water level in a steam boiler should not fall by more than an inch. The boiler may be surging because of dirty oily water, that surging causes the water to find the rusted out hole in the upper area of the cast iron.

Get someone in to take the jacket off and find the hole, then install a new boiler - it can not be fixed.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • MIcold
    Thanks Mark, Thanks Bob. I called a Heating & Cooling Company this morning and hoping they can get out asap. I'm in Michigan and it's getting really cold, quickly, with no heat.

Any idea how much a new boiler is going to run me, including install? :(
  • MIcold
    MODS: Please move to "Strictly Steam" if possible. Sorry for the mix up.
  • MIcold
    Thanks Hattersaguy. I'm now on my 3rd company for steam boilers. The one I have scheduled to come out was recommended by a friend and neighbor. Without much else to go on, I'm trying to get multiple opinions and make the right decision. Ugh!
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    MIcold said:

Thanks Hattersaguy. I'm now on my 3rd company for steam boilers. The one I have scheduled to come out was recommended by a friend and neighbor. Without much else to go on, I'm trying to get multiple opinions and make the right decision. Ugh!

Post pics of the steam boiler installations they have done in the past. You'll get a really quick assessment from those on this forum.
  • MIcold
    Thanks! I'll start taking some pics!
  • ProblemSolver
    ProblemSolver Member Posts: 190
    Check your mail box; I sent you a message.
  • MIcold
    OK, took me awhile to find a new site to host images, but here are a few of the boiler:

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    My guess, it leaked due to age…However there is indication of some flame roll out, maybe because sections were blocked up , or maybe confined space,or chimney issue..In either case besides applying all the good steam knowledge you have already gotten…Make darn sure your gas sizing, venting, and make up air are all part of the overall project….Best of luck
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    You can go to the peerless website and get a great checklist on surveying a steam system…..They make a great boiler, looks like, but of course not sure, your into a 63 series….Agree move posting to steam sec..
  • ProblemSolver
    @j a MIcold picked another contractor. I talked to him over the phone and he told me the other contractor did not count or measure any of the radiators in the house, but the contractor was local and therefore MIcold was comfortable with him. So I wished him the best, and that was it. Also, we live about 7 miles from each other. ;)
  • KC_Jones
    Didn't measure anything? Wow I wish him luck with that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Explain it to me. Part of the problem is if it heats, the HO thinks they're good to go. Unless, it noisy it's fine. Doesn't realize it's costing a lot of money every month in more fuel. I just find it frustrating asthe difference in a bad job and a good one isn't much $$$ for the install, but a lot over the life of the boiler.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • KC_Jones
    vaporvac said:

Explain it to me.

I don't think anyone can....it just doesn't make sense. It's like choosing on purpose to have something done incorrectly. I just can't understand that.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    Jim_R
  • ProblemSolver
    My helper is a sprinkler guy, so his employment is temporary with me. Since he has worked with me, I helped him balance his return air duct, by giving him advise / then explaining it. His home is much much more comfortable, but he told me that if he was a regular customer and I told him I could improve the comfort in his home for $$$; he would not have understood the value between $$$ and comfort. The ol mighty buck, blinds many people from seeing common sense; and what's strange is that it cost them more $$$ if they ignore the common sense.
  • ProblemSolver

I've said before:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse

I've read it before