Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any preventative service for Buderus powered anode?

Jim R.
Jim R. Member Posts: 58
I have a Buderus ST-200 (50 gal) indirect HW tank with a powered anode. The status light is always green. The model is now discontinued. It's about 10 years old and-- shame on me-- I'm going to clean the tank for the first time this spring. The few times we had a rep out to clean the boiler he said it was already very clean and there is usually very little build-in the tank. But I know we're overdue now.

The main reason I'm asking... we heard from our water dept. stating that too much salt is in the water and it could affect our heating system. The boiler is closed loop so we're OK there. But not sure what effect it could have on the indirect tank.

Customer Service at Buderus refuses to put me through to a tech. They refer me to my rep or the manual. The manual makes reference on how to test the anode but nothing about the powered anode setup. Is there anything we should do for preventative maintenance especially given it's age and the added salt? If there is a sacrificial anode, what is the part#?

Thanks.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    If the lights still on then it s still working .At ten years old i would suggest to close the water inlet to the tank and drain some water out and then remove the top to inspect the tank .Get a new toilet brush and brush down any scale and lime build up on the interior of the tank .Then with a garden hose flush out the debrie and put her back together .There are a few products speciffly designed to help remove the scale most are enviromental safe and have aepa /fda approval and are non toxic very important .I miss those st tank there where of a good design and easy to pipe .Hope this helps peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Member Posts: 58
    Can you recommend a cleaning product if I need it? Is the technique the manual recommends-- spraying cold water in a hot tank for a thermal shock-- effective?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Sorry jim i know of no technique that is stated in manual .I have read about the thermal shoch tech but on that tank you can take the top off and see the build up ,alot of tank there is no way for a visual so you dis manatle it to replace or inspect coil ,or in lieu have it clean with a cleaner as i suggested .I can t remenber the name of the product i used about 6 months ago .I used it on a very badly limed amtrol tank and after bout an hr or so and a good flush it heated up like a champ before hand the boiler would code on hi temp .If it comes to mind i ll post it sorry .You should really be concerned if you see your boiler shutting off on hi temp limt and your tank is cold unless the boiler is grossly over sized or the indirect is not piped properly or controlled if so then the coil in the indirect is not giving up enough heat because of build up then be worried about cleaning it ,Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    If is had a lime scale build up, try Hercules Sizzle. I have had the same experience as clammy cleaning out boilers and DHW tanks. follow the directions for dilution.

http://www.oatey.com/products/drain-and-waste-system-cleaners/liquid/sizzle-for-professional-use-only-not-for-retail-sale
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream