Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

navian combo unit ncb210

I have a job customer is buying there own equipment for a radiant job. They got talked into a navian combo unit so they can hook up to domestic later on. I tried to sell a wall hung condensing boiler with no luck. should I walk away from this job I see nothing but problems down the road.

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    You can walk, or you can make up some of the lost profit opportunity in labor rate. The customer is providing the product, so you have no responsiblility for it down the road and you have no warranty responsibility either. Make it clear that you charge for every hour on the job. This is probably an Internet sale of the equipment where the equipment gets bounced around by UPS and may develop "transport issues". Also not your responsibility. Buying it this way guarantees the customer will save the most money;)
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Unless you're comfortable owning the problems down the road, should they arise...
  • We installed a Navien CH180 a year ago under the same conditions, i.e. owner buying the boiler. He understood that we were not guaranteeing the boiler. I would still get it in writing; an easy thing to do before any trouble starts and you get blamed.

There was a problem, but it turned out to be my doing. Navien tech. support was very good - not excellent, but very good. I was pleased with the quality of the boiler and would consider using one for a job; there are so many to choose from these days.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Pipe it and vent it right and it's not a bad boiler. A little scary to look at the innards, look for a Navien class near you. It's on the client for ANYTHING to do with the boiler.
  • ricking
    ricking Member Posts: 34
    I have been looking at this boiler as well except the NCB 180. Just a little smaller. Navien has been around for a while and as of late,I hear, their product has improved over the years. Would like to hear some more reviews on this if possible. The price point seems reasonable but......Good, Cheap, Fast...pick two.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    There good boilers you can use there manifold to simplify everything.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I have a Navien NCB 240 in my own home with a hot water coil in my duct work and a fan coil unit in the Garage. Its been great so far. The down side is it shuts down the heating load to run domestic hot water. If i where to do it again i'm not sure i would of installed a combi unit. I think i would of went with the New Navien NHB boiler with a 15 to 1 turn down ratio with an indirect tank.
    I'm going to be running a indirect tank to my current set up to pre heat my hot water from my return piping. It will also help to keep my return water temps down to make sure i'm condensing more.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    ricking said:

I have been looking at this boiler as well except the NCB 180. Just a little smaller. Navien has been around for a while and as of late,I hear, their product has improved over the years. Would like to hear some more reviews on this if possible. The price point seems reasonable but......Good, Cheap, Fast...pick two.

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    In boiler terms what do you mean a while and in this while why do they continue to make changes almost every year.Just because they are an easy install and actually when you compare price including their manifold they really are not much cheaper than tried and tested units in my humble opinion.
  • Snowmelt
    Nj tommy you need an aquastat to keep the air handler off until the water heater reaches a spacific temp.
    njtommy
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Snowmelt I was going to do that on my AHU, but I still have my electric heat for emergency heat set at 5 degrees from space temp offset. I installed a delay on make timer so I don't get a blast of cold air. One of the features for hydro air is that NCB has terminals on there to turn off the blower on call for domestic.
  • Snowmelt
    Njtommy your right I think you have to buy a kit for that spacific conversion.
    njtommy