Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modifying a Two-Zone System

2»

Comments

• seniorblues
    seniorblues Member Posts: 23
    I'm in midcoast Maine.

There are several heat loss issues I have to deal with, and yes, insulation should go to the top of the list.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    You have far more reasonable options if you will have an open mind and listen.
  • seniorblues
    That was cryptic . . . :-)

What would you suggest?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    I'd sure suet putting the stove in basement
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Really? and carry the wood to the basement.
  • seniorblues
    Actually, I'm currently carrying some of the wood that's stored on ground level up the basement stairs. (Before we bought this house this past summer, we looked at an "upside down" house . . . the main floor, with a wood stove, was on the third floor!)

We spend most of our time in the open living, dining, kitchen area on the main floor, right? And the heat rises up the stairs to the second floor. As I mentioned earlier, I don't regret putting the stove where it is.

It would not be unreasonable to put a second wood stove in the basement, but I'm still thinking that insulation and radiant and/or baseboard heat is the best option, given that the current heating system is set up to add another zone.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    As has been said before, Insulate between the joists with fibergleass batts, split the zones for the first floor and basement, insulate the basement walls and install baseboard radiation (do a heatloss of the basement to figure the proper amount of baseboard).
  • seniorblues
    Hadn't thought of doing a heat loss analysis. Good idea.