Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett A/C ready kit failure

Options
wrooper
wrooper Member Posts: 58
I have been hijacking a previous thread and thought I should post my own problem.
The oil hot air furnace on a "flip" house I purchased [20 min away] is having an intermittent failure that seems to be a loss of thermostat signal. I have witnessed it failing and seems related to a "crackling" noise [like a repeated small arc] coming from the terminal strip adjacent to the control. I have determined that this is the "A/C ready kit" that came with this furnace.
I have not yet located the actual problem [broken solder joint?] and have yet to eliminate a crack in the thermostat wire near the terminal. It seems I can make the "crackling" noise by wiggling the thermostat wire.
Another poster suggested I could hook my thermostat wire directly to the primary control [I do not have central A/C] and bypass my problem.
Assuming I have found the problem part:
Can I bypass the A/C kit permanently? Will that eliminate my ability to use "fan only" on my thermostat?[now that I think of it I am not sure it has "fan only"]
Has anyone disassembled an A/C kit and resoldered a problem joint? [I am a long way from a supply house]
Thanks in advance Bill

Comments

• burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    if you do not have a/c you would be wasting money buying this part and if the thermostat is not wired for a/c the green wirethe fan only is not working now.. I take a pair of shears and cut the board,, and remove.. the 24 volt transformer is also wired in but for A/c .. you do not need it for heat,,,
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    We just had this issue on one. Replaced that back piece and working fine.
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    On the terminal strip assembly, above the screw terminals where it says "Beckett". inside that black square is a micro relay as i'm told. That is what fails intermittently and can be very frustrating to find.