Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G Flo control valve

Options
BillEllen
BillEllen Member Posts: 2
I have a right angle Bell & Gossett flo control valve (marked 2”, FA6) in my heating system. I don't think they make this in 2” anymore. It drips from the stem.
Do I need to drain the system in order to replace the packing or will just shutting off the water supply be enough?

My sister's house has the same SINGLE zone heating system with no flo control valve. Do I really need this thing?
Thanks
BillEllen

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    You most likely need it unless you have all zone valves.

You can usually re-pack them if you drop the pressure. You don't usually have to drain the system.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    I agree icesailor but would hate to have them damage anything after the fact, and panic if not sure. If only the gauge is 1 or 2 psi off and the nice leather couch they were going to give their sister was ruined.....oh boy,......lol. I hope that was at least a little funny.......

Peace Mike T.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Depends how fast you can do a repack.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    10/4 Gordy.......:-)
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Well, I always found that the air vents left tight, the fill valve off, and the drain hose outside, once you got a vacuum, and the hose slowed to a trickle, you were finest kind.

I usually worked at getting the packing nut loose long before I ever got out the drain hose. And getting that lever off the top, which usually didn't come off. But you had to get the stem all the way up before you even thought about the hose.

I found later in life, that a long piece of Teflon tape, spun into a long fat thread, was the best packing material around. You could wind multiple wraps around the shaft and still get the nut to catch the threads. Put some Super-Lube synthetic grease on it, crank it down, put more on if it will take it, and the world is a happier place. Especially if you don't have to change the valve.
    SWEI
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    We can assume you've tried tightening the packing nut?