Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Timer EPU-CH overheating building

Options
Gregg
Gregg Member Posts: 11
edited January 2015 in Thermostats and Controls
I manage a 19 unit 3-story brick apartment building in NJ with HB Smith 19A gas fired steam boiler with power flame burner. Re-commissioned Heat Timer EPU-CH controller but the device is overheating the building. I recalibrated it and am confident that is correct and not contributing to the problem. Heat Adjustment set to "A" and Heat System Sensor set to "X" so can't lower any more controls. The heat system sensor is strapped to the farthest return in the basement (last to get hot per instructions). Any ideas/suggestions on how I can reduce heat output or lower temp within building?
Thanks.

Comments

• AW99
    AW99 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Is the control still cycling the boiler on and off? If so for how long? It is starting to sound like that system sensor may be bad or have a bad connection, or it could also be due to the outdoor sensor (weatherhead). Check connections at the sensors as well as at the control sensor connection. Its very difficult to check if the sensors are working correctly on the older EPU controls without an ohm meter to read resistance across the sensor. More resistance = warmer temperature. It could also be due to a bad control. Heat Timer has long since discontinued that model. It may be time for a new steam outdoor reset control. I work regularly with their boiler controls.
  • bleeheat
    bleeheat Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi AW99

I also have Heat Timer EPU-CH controller for building with 24 apartments. I am looking to replace it, which new model do you recommend?

Thanks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @bleeheat
    Check out TEKMAR controls. They work just as good as a heat timer and less$$$$$
    They have a steam model
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Or a Honeywell VisionPro with remote sensor in the most exposed room.
    A lot less $$$&—NBC