Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a hot water heat coil to boiler

jch1
jch1 Member Posts: 200
During the proposal period for the new install of my boiler, one professional recommended installing a hot water heat coil so I could run a hot water heating loop in my basement. I ultimately decided to go with another professional, but they installed the same brand and model (Peerless 63-04L). Is it possible for someone to add the hot water heat coil at a later date or did this need to be done upon installing the boiler? I'm trying to get an idea as to whether I want to pursue preparing a loop with two radiators to heat approximately 650 sq ft of finished basement space. Currently, the uninsulated main is providing heat to the area, and it does do a pretty good job of keeping everything warm.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    To me this question boils down to usage. Do you use the basement every day? If so then the way it is set up now is probably okay. I am going to theorize you don't use the basement daily (or at least not all day long). If that is the case in my mind you would be better off with a hot water loop off the boiler. It would have it's own thermostat and you would only turn it up when you wanted to use the basement as opposed to heating the basement all the time. Then you could insulate that main which would also increase the efficiency of heating the main part of the house. The only other part of the equation that I personally think about is ROI. Would the saving add up to offset the cost of having the hot water system installed? In the end it's up to you and what things are important. I often do things with my house that people find crazy because it isn't important to them, but it is to me. Just my $.02 worth.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    That boiler does not have the option to install a hot-water coil. You'll need to install a bronze circulator and all of the necessary controls to properly add a hot-water zone to that boiler.
  • jch1
    edited January 2015
    Does it not? Maybe I'm incorrect with the model that he suggested. During our initial conversations, he did say he suggested using a "Peerless EC boiler with a Midco gas burner" and stated it was a higher efficiency boiler. Maybe it was this model that he was saying he could add the coil on. Do those models allow for the hot water coil?

We currently don't really use the basement very often, but we are converting a portion of it to a theater room and want to use the spare bedroom as a lounge of sorts, so I can see its use increasing. With that being said, could somebody give me an idea as to what parts would be involved in setting up such a system so I can determine an approximate cost?
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    jch1 said:

Does it not? Maybe I'm incorrect with the model that he suggested. During our initial conversations, he did say he suggested using a "Peerless EC boiler with a Midco gas burner" and stated it was a higher efficiency boiler. Maybe it was this model that he was saying he could add the coil on. Do those models allow for the hot water coil?

We currently don't really use the basement very often, but we are converting a portion of it to a theater room and want to use the spare bedroom as a lounge of sorts, so I can see its use increasing. With that being said, could somebody give me an idea as to what parts would be involved in setting up such a system so I can determine an approximate cost?

The EC/ECT model does provide an optional tankless hot-water coil. I personally prefer to install hot-water loops without the coil.

Has your current company provided an estimate yet?
  • jch1
    No they have not, and in fact, they didn't even seem to appreciate what I was trying to do. Perhaps shopping around for a bit may be the best route.