Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Allison ignitor

aldiedrich
aldiedrich Member Posts: 2
I have oil burner that I've had intermittent lock out issues. I think it's a Beckett, burner is probably 1980's. Its in a seasonal house in the Adirondacks and we only use it sporadically during the winter. Unit was serviced this summer.
Even though the unit runs most of the time I bought a new Allison ignitor, matching numbers to the one that's in the unit. I installed the new ignitor and no fire, put the old one back in and it fired up, sent the ignitor back and got another and the same thing. I just tested the new ignitor and it tests good on a bench. Any ideas why the new ignitors don't work in my unit?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Is this an electronic ignitor? The white striped blue wire is your line voltage to start. What control do you have? Springs didn't slide off the buss bars and ground the spark when you closed it? Pinched wires in the hinge? What lead you to believe that the transformer was no good? Pics always help
  • aldiedrich
    aldiedrich Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, yes electronic ignition, Allison 2275-630. This has flat springs and having them slip off the bus bar is an option. On the two occasions it locked out it appeared I had fuel in the chamber. So I started with the ignition. It's a 2 hr drive to the camp, and usually arrive Friday night. So having extra parts is good, since calling someone to fix it isn't an easy option. If this happened with just one new ignitor you would think I made a mistake somewhere, but with two and then re-hooking up the original each time and it working. The original is identical to the new ones. I assume the unit doesn't need grounding to the burner, I was thinking the fresh paint on the new ones was affecting this. I have some pics at work, can send them tomorrow.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    That's not a "Allison 2275-630" electronic transformer, it's a "Allanson 2275-630 iron core transformer. It probably fits Beckett only.

Its not an electronic igniter.

There can be many causes for the burner to be going off. Not all related to the transformer and ignition transformer.