Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain EG75 vs. Buderus G334x73

grkmec
grkmec Member Posts: 3
I am looking for a high quality, bullet proof, cast iron gas boiler. Can you please which boiler is better and why? Cost is not a consideration here so if there is some other higher end unit or even small commercial quality unit, I am open to suggestion. Thanks!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited January 2015
    Define bullet proof. Are you planning to shoot at it? What kind of gas? What size? What application? What kind of water quality?
  • grkmec
    Bullet proof to me means reliable and won't require any maintenance. Natural Gas. Both units are around 300 MBH input and 215-ish net MBH. Application is water based, running 5 zones, one of which is indirect 130 gallon water heater plus 4 forced hot air handlers for a 6k sq foot house. Water is city water not well. Not sure how great the quality is since my whole house humidification system got clogged after two years with minerals so it looks like there is some hardness to it.
  • grkmec
    Understood -- any thoughts on the Buderus vs. Weil Mclain ? Is one more tolerant to minerals? Do they have the same size waterways for example?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    If you want it to last, be sure to provide protection from low return water temps. That means 130°F or higher, which limits your supply temps to about 140-150°F. Several of the Burnham models are cast using a special alloy (Viessmann "G Iron" AFAIK) that will tolerate return water temps as low as 110°F.