Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baxi HT380, servicing

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
gas guys, we have 5 Baxi HT380's we take care of. Does anyone have a trick to get a good reading on the expansion tank? I fear my basic pump with its basic gauge is good, but not great, One of the boiler we service upchucked its exp tank recently, so now it's on our minds. Thanks for any comments. Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Do you have isolation valves to remove the system from the equation? Drain valves?
  • superdave
    superdave Member Posts: 155
    The best way we do it is close the valves at the boiler and drain the boiler by its low point drain and then check the PSI with no water in system. I know you do need to keep that EX tank in use because of the DHW side of the boiler.
    Good luck.
  • GW
    SWEI, just the factory valves, but draining isn't so much the issue (and filling), it's the tap for the exp tank is way up high, I am wondering what tricks may be out there to get an good reading on the psi. Thanks, gw
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    SuperD, thanks, any hot tips to check and or add pressure? That schrader valve is way up high. Thanks, gw
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • SWEI
    If the only issue is getting to the Schrader valve, would something like this help?
  • GW
    thank you both, I dig the 90 degree fitting. Merry Christmas and may no heating systems take a nap tonight.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    My wholesaler had the Cherne hoses by the bin full. Along with the test balls.
    GW
  • superdave
    superdave Member Posts: 155
    Sorry for the delay. I unscrew the round plate on top of the boiler. and swing it out of place and then I put the PSI test on it. I can fit most of my hand in the hole about 3.5" round.
    GW
  • GW
    Thanks for the comments....does this newer site have a way to get an email notice if a reply comes in?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • SWEI
    Click on the star at the top right corner of the first post.
  • GW
    Thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Look for an RV type air pressure gauge. They are available with a rubber hose and read accurately down on low pressures.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream