Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to lift an 800 pound boiler 16"'s off the deck, with one man...

Options
2»

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Another thought on the pipes. 3/16, or 1/4" wall metal shell piling. You can get a slew of diameters. These are spiral welded seem pipe. Suppliers in my area are. skyline steel, and naylor pipe don't know if similar suppliers are in your area. They might even have scraps from a production roll laying around.
  • Gordy
    Options

Radiant windows?
    My 150 year old windows radiate too. Mainly cold wind. :)

Seriously though, what are radiant windows? Do they have electric heating elements molded into the glass?

The glass itself is cunductive. Think about rear window defogger on your vehicle. Technology has been around since wwII. Don't tell me your considering radiant ChrisJ.

• Gordy
    Options
    http://youtu.be/OpyTjYBIzBA

This video goes into concept, and he takes some IR temp readings in operation. All though he needs to learn how to take accurate readings emissive surface.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Gordy, I am wanting to keep the flue gas as hot as possible, and let the heat exchange surfaces of my boiler do the transferring of energy, so yes, out the top lid and into the boiler. I do have access to some spiral vent here in Denver. Chris, google radiant windows. Or Radiant Glass Industries, as company I helped with some early product development. Or do a search on tis site for radiant windows. I've divulged EVERYTHING about them here. Also Gordy, those thermal outputs you saw are for gravity air feed. Mine will be forced fed combustion air, and will have significantly higher btuH outputs.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

ChrisJ
  • Gordy
    Options
    Ah Ha forgot about the forced draft. Significantly shorter burn times....big barrels.

• Gordy
    Options
    Is this whole setup in lieu of the water holding pool for cooling?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    No, in addition to. The WSHP extracts heat out of the open tank, producing ice, and the boiler puts heat back into the ice block in an effort to run it back through phase change. I will have to incorporate boiler protection into the scheme, probably with variable speed injection, or non electric TRV on return to boiler to keep it away from condensation production. Boiler should run at 85% pretty much all the time.

ME

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Probably, but that would work on negative efficiency.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Huh?

Splain please Paul. I must be misinterpreting/misunderstanding your message.

ME

• Paul48
    Options
    To me........It makes sense to use a gasifier to run a generator, for instance. It doesn't make sense to burn wood, or other material, to create a flammable gas, then burn that gas in a boiler. I could see a wood gasification boiler powering a generator.
  • Gordy
    Options
    I don't think we are seeing the whole picture yet Paul. Patience grasshopper.
  • Paul48
    Options
    My response wound up, out of context. It was in response to the question. "Has anyone ever used a gasifier to run a gas boiler"? It wasn't meant as a commentary on what Mark is doing.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Got it. Such is the nature of the new system. Can't post directly below the post you wanted to respond to… Still love the place though. Greatest resource on the face of the Earth as it pertains to hydronic heating. Thanks for the clarification Paul.

• Paul48
    Options
    Sorry for confusion Mark. It would be cool if you could heat that boiler's heat exchangers, and run a small generator at the same time.
    Mark Eatherton
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options

...Such is the nature of the new system. Can't post directly below the post you wanted to respond to…

That's why it's a good idea to use the "Quote" capability, excerpting as appropriate, to make clear what one is responding to. :)

Canucker
  • Paul48
    Options
    That's another puzzling thing....When I posted it, it appeared directly after the one I was responding to. When Mark questioned what I meant, I thought it odd, but then reallized the 2 posts were now seperated. I haven't been able to "quote" an excerpt, as yet. Sometimes re-posting "War and Peace" posts could get annoying. Anyway...neither here, nor there...lesson learned.
  • Paul48
    edited January 2015
    Options

Paul48 said:

I haven't been able to "quote" an excerpt, as yet. .

Press the "QUOTE" button at the bottom of the post.

OK...Got it!......Thank You
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It would be nice if you could just highlight what you wanted to quote and then hit the "quote" button and it would just quote that portion. I tried it once and it didn't work, had to do the delete thing. Did that make sense?
    Not complaining, just commenting.
  • Paul48
    Options
    I agree Rob. I did the same thing.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    "It gets more difficult when you wish to quote a post that has previous quotes."

I just copied and pasted using my Mac's copy and paste feature, and it works grand. Hadn't thought about using that feature… I added the quotation marks myself so you can tell the difference between their words and mine. WIll use this in the future to avoid cornfusion.

Thanks for the recommendation gang.

As I tol dDan yesterday, my pappy used to say, "If you don't learn something new every day, you were either A.) Gone fishing…, or B.) Not paying attention. And if you WERE gone fishing, and you didn't learn something new, you weren't paying attention!

Have a great Sunday, and may your favorite football team move on.

ME

• Gordy
    Options
    I find that the easiest with my iPad Mark I highlight what I don't want hit cut, and insert my own quotation marks.