Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai heater

Options
RJ_4
RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
My church has 2 free standing rinnai propane heaters in the lower classrooms, I am not familiar with this equip. as my exp. is mostly commercial, I noticed they don't have flues, got some feedback that said they have a sensor to lock out unit when CO in room is high, these rooms have very little fresh air , I would appreciate any info Thanks Rick

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    If in fact they are "vent free" heaters they do not have sensor for CO. That have and Oxygen Depletion System. Air is 20.9% oxygen. If there is no make-up air and the units run so long that they "deplete" or reduce the the 02 in the space then the system will shut down at about 18.5%.

How about a model number on these units. I can give you a bit more detail with that info. Also, are you sure they are vent free and not the direct vents?
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    Thanks I will get the mod no. next time I go over there , not direct vented, A little scary to depend on a sensor to prevent a CO problem

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    In Massachusetts, they would have hard wired CO detectors, regardless of what is inside the units.

Many States/Jurisdictions have requirements on "Air Changes Per Hour" for places of assembly like churches, movie theatres, meeting halls etc.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    It also cant be the main heat source...just used as supplemental. Not a fan of any vent-free appliance. Is it really a good idea to be breathing the combustion gasses that are burning.?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Well, its not that I don't agree with you, but as far as Massachusetts goes, "Vent Free" heaters are restricted to 36,000 BTU's or less and can't be used in bedrooms.

Although you don't normally put gas cook stoves in bedrooms, plenty of people use them for emergency heat and many new stoves I had installed were more commercial than residential, and if you were cooking a big Turkey feed, the gas output far exceeded that limit.