Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest v2 with humidity sensor & "True Radiant"

BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
It looks like the Nest has a humidity sensor and can control a ventilation system based on it.

Also, there seems to be a "true radiant" feature that measures the lag in heating and will turn on the heat earlier, as well as turn off the heat so there is no over heating. Does anyone have any experience with "true radiant?"

What do you think are the best competitors to the Nest for radiant flooring homes?

Comments

• goodguy
    goodguy Member Posts: 12
    I have been using a Lyric for this heating season. I have a cold start boiler and ancient CI radiators in a 90 year old house. It does a set back and chooses what temp to use based on some magic. I know its recommended not to set back but we like sleeping cooler and I can set back for 11 hours. The system is almost always at requested temp at requested time. It also learns how to anticipate the system. I am quite happy with it.
    BigRob
  • goodguy
    goodguy Member Posts: 12
    Further experience, -10 forecast, lyric decided set back 68 to 65. Other nights set back has been as far as 55 degrees.
    BigRob
  • If your boiler/radiant system has outdoor reset, then it may respond to temperature setbacks very slowly. It might be better to choose a lower constant temperature, and leave it like that.
    Alternatively you could zone the bedrooms for a lower constant temperature.--NBC
    BigRob
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    I have been using both this year with a radiant system. The Nest is upstairs with a low mass radiant floor and the Lyric is downstairs with slab radiant.

I don't have the Nest connected to the AC system (yet) so I haven't had the chance to see the humidity operation. As for the true radiant and nest sense......I had the sense turned on for the first two months, but since it was for the upstairs areas, learning our schedule and temps where a little all over the place. The true radiant feature does start to learn how long it takes to get to the new setpoint temp or when coming out of setback.
    Now that I have it in a schedule rather than sensing, it works much better for achieving the comfort levels we want.

I have alot more learning to do with the Lyric. It does not have a website access to allow more features to be accessible. Only by app. The true radiant feature is not in the
    lyric, so there is no learning curve as to response time. I do find overheating by a degree or two, and in the morning taking longer to get to setpoint.

More in the future as the winter rolls on.

Dave H
    Dave H
    BigRob